What soapy mistake have you made today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is the soap I discussed yesterday that forgot to add caster oil ,as not-ally said it is a soft bar ,I have no ph tester now to check the PH (urgently need to buy )
Now I want to know how to re batch ? Just cut into pieces or grate it ?
add caster oil (the missing quantity 40g )?

IMG_20150917_213107.jpg

this is the soap I discussed yesterday that forgot to add caster oil ,as not-ally said it is a soft bar ,I have no ph tester now to check the PH (urgently need to buy )

First, rerun your recipe in the soap calc, and find out how much oil you need to add to take it to a 5% SF. Would the 40gm castor be enough or not, I'm thinking it won't be. Since you don't want all the extra oil to be castor, come up with something else.

Also, open google and type ' how to rebatch ', along with other blogs, the forum will pop up with a list of most relevant threads. Read as many as your time will permit. You'll learn more that way.

Last edited:

pH testers aren't really recommended for testing soap (notoriously unreliable plus what you're looking for is free lye - not pH). You'll get better information about the safety of your soap by zap testing it. There's a sticky in the beginner section that shows the how-to. :)

hot pro.mess

Well I decided to make some hot process green tea and Jasmin soaps.I made up lye solution & added green tea leaves.All goes well till I found there was no Jasmin frag left !!.So switched over to making it into Chamomile soap.Got rid of the lye solution as it had gone a yukki dark brown color and made some fresh lye solution.So far so good.
Mixed my oils & lye ok and put it to "cook" using my double boiler on stove method.Works every time !
Then 20 mins into the cook I realised I´d forgotten the chamomile tea leaves ,sooo I opened the pot and stirred them in. Result; a few mins later the soap batter volcanoed all over the stove & work top.What a mess.:sad:
I managed to salvage most of the batter and continued the cook.Soap turned out fine. Learnt a valuable lesson there.Never open the lid to stir till the batter is more or less ready (1 hour approx).

I have done hot process a few times now, I also added KOH to glycerine and boiled till fully dissolved, nothing ever rises up, boils or threatens to boil over. The soap just goes to gel in the double boiler. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, lol! Although my guess is the low low temps I use. But then, how does it go to gel under 20 min? Just how???

VK, I believe its heat and recipe dependent. My HP castiles never volcano even with extremely high heat. However, my soaps that I used to make that contained 20-30% CO used to threaten to volcano all the time and actually did once or twice. But, that was when I had left the room and wasnt watching it like a hawk.

Glad to see the bad days get passed around!
I reworked a recipe I have been using for the last 6 months to increase the soft oil amounts so I can swirl more. Trying to be super organized I had my lye with coconut milk ready on an ice bath, micas premixed with oil, fragrance and additives poured. Just finished measuring and pouring my oils, grabbed the handle of the bucket to lift:)problem:) and half my liquid oils ended up on my floor :Kitten Love:.
Cleaning 20+oz of oil off a laminate floor is not fun. Needless to say I learned my lesson that day...

I had on a t-shirt and long pant, but it's hot as heck, so I changed into a tank and shorts. I wear safety gear (I have gloves, an apron and disposable plastic sleeves), I'm A-OK because I've done it like this before when it was even hotter. Today is the day I splash myself all over with FO and the batter. Above the plastic sleeves. Right in the spot my t-shirt covered. Lesson learned.

just a tip on dissolving tussah silk I learned from Irish Lass...pull it to fine threads and allow it to soak in your fluid before you add the lye....I used silk for the first time yesterday in a batch and I think I let it soak for roughly 20 minutes...worked like a charm!

I tried to make baby soap last night but today when I un mold it there was something in the middle of soap ,I dont know what is that ?plz help me . I made with soap queen recipe and used olive oil and coconut oil .

IMG_20150922_131211.jpg

IMG_20150922_131144.jpg

I tried to make baby soap last night but today when I un mold it there was something in the middle of soap ,I dont know what is that ?plz help me . I made with soap queen recipe and used olive oil and coconut oil .

The picture is pretty fuzzy to me... could you try to take another and post it?

Also, soap really isn't recommended for babies. I don't know if you're just calling it "baby soap" or if your intention is to use it on babies. You might want to do some research if it's the former. Babies have such delicate skin, and you wouldn't want to hurt an infant. :)

ordered an owl mold to make soap for my niece & nephew. It arrived today and man is it small. Those are bite-sized soaps

ordered an owl mold to make soap for my niece & nephew. It arrived today and man is it small. Those are bite-sized soaps

you can try to make some embeds. there's probably a better way, but this is how I've been experimenting:
  • Make a batch of soap whose height is a little less than the thickness of your mold
  • Once the soap hardens, use the mold to cut out the shapes
  • Allow to harden
  • Place these hardened soaps in a mold
  • With a lightly traced soap mix, fill the mold with the shapes, but be careful not to go higher than them
  • Allow to harden and cut out your soaps with a larger mold (for example a ring cutter)

Does this make sense? Anyone have a better way?

Ha! I had this splendid idea to make a half gm half salt bar in 2 layers. The bottom layer i nearly forgot to put the shea butter, the top layer was the salt soap, and it was a bit crumbly... Yikes!

Made a batch of soap, got interrupted twice. Left out the fragrance oil...realized it in time to dump the whole mess back in the bucket and remix. Whew! Buuuuuut then once it started hardening again in the mold, realized I left out an oil. :mad: Ran to the soapcalc, ran numbers, it'll be fine but not what I wanted. Griped at interrupties to never interrupt me again.

Made a batch of soap, got interrupted twice. Griped at interrupties to never interrupt me again.

Reminds me of a soaping mistake from long ago. I was pouring into the mold with hubby's son talking to me. Missed the mold and poured it down the outside of the cabinet. After that he was not allowed to talk to me while I was soaping. lol

Yesterday's mistake was a bit less messy. Read the Shampoo Bar recipe wrong. 32% water to oil rate does not mean 32 oz. water. It will take a while for those to dry. (Recipe called for 20 oz.) I'd like to HP it, but gotta get my Christmas soaps made first.

Made a loaf for my niece who loves sunflowers...used all the colors of a sunflower in a white base...Vibrance Green, Vibrance Yellow, Maya Gold, TD black and used the new BC sunflower FO. The FO accelerated really fast so it was more of a spooning than a pouring...I CPOPed this loaf for the first time ever hoping maybe the heat would settle down the batter a bit. I pounded the hell out of it to get air out. I'll post pics of the loaf out of the oven later...

Okay, here's my loaf after an hour of CPOP at 180...I'm hoping once slices it doesn't look so horrible...how soon can I unmold and cut with CPOP? BTW, that's clear glitter you see not unmixed dye...

003.jpg

Back