What soapy mistake have you made today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been mixing FO in the oils. Seems to help a lot. But this is new for me............ so it has not stuck in my head yet and that's probably why I missed it.

I am also trying a new thing in coloring where I color the whole batch. Then if I want a swirl I color a darker color when I separate some out.
Obviously this doesn't work all the time but I am still playing with it.

Ugh, my fragrance played hide and seek on me yesterday. It's super annoying because I wasted a soap rim and embeds, and the color I was trying to match came out perfect and now I get to do it all over.
Didn't find it until clean up at which point the soap was already firm.
It hid behind the bag of TD...
FO:1 Soaper: 0

even worse when the soap really turns out too!!!!

Last nights Mistake.
Should have colored brighter purple on the Lilac batch that I know rices. :( But I was not expecting it to look Grey blob color :( I saw it when I poured and it doesn't look much better this morning.
IMG_20190702_064427931[1].jpg

I have had a week!!!! I left my coconut oil and shea butter out of a 5 pound batch of soap (it was in the crock pot melting and I completely forgot about it) did notice until the next day when I was getting ready to make another batch and went to melt more. But that time everything had been cut and was on the curing rack. Unfortunately I split this batch up and couldn't just rebatch it to add the missing oils. *Head desk*

Today... oh today... I went to put my lye water in the freezer like I do sometimes and forgot I had just put my camera on top of the freezer. I opened the door and the camera fell down into the bucket I was holding and I dropped the bucket. Lye water everywhere. I am okay, my hands are sore because I was frantically trying to clean it up.

Hope this makes you feel better :crazy:
Oh noooo!

I need this thread today. I made moonlight pomegranate cupcakes yesterday that were a cream base and maroon frosting and they accelerated majorly so the piping looked like dog poo. That was yesterday.

So today, I chopped them all up and melted it all down for a rebatch. And molded it. And cut it.
It looks LITERALLY EXACTLY like salami. In every way possible. :crazy:
Oh my gosh I’ve done that. Except my husband said it looked like spam. It smelled great, but I ended up throwing it because it was just too ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:
This didn't happen today, but I want to post it as gremlin's bane!

First time making HP... all finishing and sitting in the mold. I was super impressed with myself over how smooth I kept it and imagining what the pale yellow would look like with the hot pink ribbon I managed to swirl inside. As I started to cleanup, I noticed my superfat still sitting in it's container. Sigh. I slopped out my pretty design, stirred in my SF and got it back into the mold. This is what it looked like when I unmolded it... raw meatloaf!

IMG_0105_zps956d96d1.jpg

The funny thing is that I actually LOVE how this soap feels and smells. If only it wasn't so ugly...
Soap Tartar!!!

Would you explain what you are doing in this picture? I'm intrigued.
Well, I just realized that I posted this on the wrong thread. Should have appeared in what soapy thing Have you done today... Sorry about that confusion.

So explanation - I like to infuse my oils with botanicals prior to soap making. I use something like 4 oz of botanical (say calendula or lavender), fill my half gallon jars with a variety of oils (the jars hold about 50 oz of oil) and put them in a warm water bath for about 3 or so days. The jars then go on my soap oil shelf and when I am ready I grab whatever suits me.

I have tons of infused oils, I put what is infused with and the date of infusion so I have shelf life right on the information tag

I have tons of infused oils, I put what is infused with and the date of infusion so I have shelf life right on the information tag
Yes, I do as well. The blue tape on the jars has all the info and date. The large tags are for me to quickly grab the oil that I'm looking for. Getting older means more time spent looking for readers. :cool:

Mistake, not making the bolts tight enough on one of the molds . It seeped a bit, no real biggie but it just means I have more to clean with day old soap batter on the mold

Granite soap!!
Ive made--on purpose--soaps that I tried to get looking like different gems and minerals--jasper, malachite, maw sit sit, sandstone, granite.....the gemstone collection..an homage to the gem show here.....

I forgot to use my matcha tea infusion in OO for that oil in the soap I made today. Bummer... I added dispersed powder instead, but don’t think the result will be the same. It seems like I always forget something :(

I forgot to use my matcha tea infusion in OO for that oil in the soap I made today. Bummer... I added dispersed powder instead, but don’t think the result will be the same. It seems like I always forget something :(
Never mind... that's the downside. On the upside, you can repeat the process using the infused oil and impress us all with posting a comparison. No one will know you didn't plan it that way. :cool:

Latest posts

Back