What size bars do people like?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity

Reaction score
I was wondering what size bars of soap customers generally prefer, and what weight they prefer - 120g, 130g?

You see, my husband says my bars are too big to hold comfortably. They are rectangular - 3 3/8" (85mm) wide, 2 3/8" (60mm) high, 1" (25mm) thick and weigh around 120g. I've seen some bars that are smaller but thicker - ie 3" (75mm) wide, 2" (55mm) high, 1 1/8" (28mm) thick, weighing 128g.

I'd like to stick with rectangular, rather than go square.

Thanks,

My regular bars are rectangular-4oz. bars. That is the most common size that I have noticed, of course some are slightly over.

For previous threads (go to bottom of your screen) :razz:
Roy

Size of bars and soap box mkaiser CP Soap Forum 2 11-15-2010 07:00 AM
What size do you like your bars? AshleyR CP Soap Forum 16 05-19-2009 12:09 PM
how do people make cp bars look nice? honor435 CP Soap Forum 8 02-16-2009 08:29 AM
What size are your bars? AshleyR CP Soap Forum 14 09-25-2008 03:53 AM
ATTN PAUL AND PEOPLE WHO LOVE SALT BARS! leansoapqueen CP Soap Forum 6 01-13-2008 12:31 PM

My bars are currently 3" around (using PVC pipe so they are circular), and they are about an inch thick (I still can't cut straight). Currently, they are running around 3.5 ounces, but I am not keeping close track of the weight at this point. I will likely be making bars that are around 4 ounces if/when I start selling.

I have two basic sizes that sell really well, they are around 4 ounces (114g) for the goat milk or 'regular' soap bars, these are cut from a log mold using a 'tank'.

Then I also sell a lot of sea salt soaps in 3 oz bars (86g) because that is the mold I have. I also have heart molds (3.5oz) that sell, but not nearly as well as the square smaller molded ones.

I have a couple of customers that like extra large soaps (5 and 6 oz). However, those do not sell well at all because I price them proportionally and folks just see the price sign. However, I will make large bars (cut by hand instead of by tank) for special orders. I do not like large bars so much myself because I have small hands.

I have had different shapes in the past (before my mold and tank purchases) and noticed that folks prefer rectangular rather than square, so you are right to go for the basic deck of cards shape.

Thanks everyone. This is very useful information. I personally love the square, it's so cute, but I think people might see the rectangle as better value for money because it's bigger (even though they're priced proportionately). I guess the square washes away quicker. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

Latest posts

Back