What size are your bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I've only made a few batches of CP soap so far, and when I cut it into bars I made them about 4.75" x 2.5" x 1".

I've given some out to friends and family members, and everyone has been commenting on how big they are, and that I should make them HALF the size. Most of the bars I've seen in pictures on here and elsewhere online look about the same size as my bars (I think??) so I'm wondering if many of you get the same comment... that they're too big?

What is a good size? I'm going to be ordering a custom log mold soon and would like to decide on "the perfect size" soon!

Thanks!

I'm all about the golden ratio! 3X2X1

The closest I could find without a custom size was a Kelsei.

I love my Kelsei molds - they produce bars 3 1/8 X 2 1/8, I pour them to about 1 1/4 - 1/2.

When I pour a loaf mold I use a 3.375 wide mold that's 18" long. I pour to 3. They really aren't custom molds, DH made them.

I bought a TOG mold, but the size was not quite right, so I only used it once.

My bars are very different from the norm. Mine are either the size of pie slices or brownie bars. I get complaints all the time that my soaps look like desserts. I gave one to my cousin Sat and she said it looked good and was about to eat it. I need to be careful. Just thought I'd share that! :p

Personally, I like the bigger bars. I was at a handmade soap shop recently and was surprised at how small they were. I, too, was wondering if mine were too big and if everyone else's was the smaller size as well. But then, I decided, nope, I like my big bars and I'm keeping it that way! :)

Mine are 3 7/8 x 2 1/2 x 1.

I usually say they are 4 inches because it's so close.

molds

my bars are 2 x 3 x 1.25 inches. i noticed that soapmaker man has multi-bar molds that are 3x4. you can cut each bar in half to make 2 x 3 bars.

i find this is the most convenient size for medium to small hands. i make them 1.25 thick so they appear larger and to last a little longer in the shower.

I only buy large bars, that way I don't end up w/ slivers as often.

When I say large bar I mean 5-6oz. I wouldn't even bother w/ a bar less than 4.

My bars are 2.5X3.5X1.25 to 1.5 and yield anywhere from 4.8 to 6.7 oz in weight.

Oh dear Tabitha...you wouldn't like my bars! I have quite small hands and love to roll the soap in my hands when I wash. I just can't do that with larger bars so mine tend to be about 3"x2.25"x1.25"...so I guess +/- 4 oz. If I ever decide to sell again I will have to make big ones too!

I don't like the big bars, either. My hands are small, & I just can't roll those large bars & end up dropping them.

I hear the same thing from my friends too, that I should be cutting them in half. I think they say that because I am *giving* them away - nothing else. They know I want everyone to try them and tell them what they think - but since I'm not accepting money for them, they feel bad taking the bars that big. I think if I were charging $4-5 a par, the tune would change lol.

Mine are about 3.5 x 2.5 x 1.25...of course they end up shrinking a bit after the cure...

Mine are 2.25 x 3.25 x 1.5 and after a decent cure they come in around 6 ounces (usually a tad over). I like a bigger bar because I feel like I'm getting more for my money ... even if the bar is more expensive (perhaps it's just a psychological thing).

Latest posts

Back