What should I look for in a lotion making bowl?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
I've been using a big (2 quart) glass measuring cup. Which is heavy! I am thinking about plastic container to use instead. What number do I need to look for on the bottom? I melt stuff (stearic, shea, etc) in the container in the microwave, and I don't want to melt the container. I want something with a handle, a spout and something that's deeper and narrower than my giant glass measuring cup. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
I use a 2000 ml beaker that I heat and hold my phase 1 & 2 for 20 minutes then stick blend, cool down, add my preservative and fo. My daughter master batches her lotion and uses the 5 gallon hdpe #5 buckets. She heats and holds phase 1&2 seperatly. I do additionally heat and hold some separate distilled water to add in if some water has evaporated. Normally I get very little evaporation with the oils on top of the water.

I don't make lotion batches as large as you guys, but I'm really fond of my Accu-Pour pitchers for all kinds of kitchen tasks, general soaping use, and lotion making.

They are made of thick, sturdy plastic with good handles. They can be heated in a hot-water bath or microwave safely. They are also lye safe (assuming you might use them with soaping). The pour spout is needle sharp so you can pour accurately. I like how they are tall in proportion to their width, so mixing with a SB is really efficient. They come in 8 oz (250 mL) up to 128 oz (4 qt or 4000 mL).

Manufacturer: http://www.accupitcher.com/Accu-Pour-products.html
They're sold a lot for farm/ranch use and I find them in the ag chemicals section, but don't let that put you off -- they're "...food grade polypropylene that has high chemical resistance to a wide variety of chemicals..." I bought my 500 mL and 1000 mL pitchers at Blains Farm and Fleet (midwestern US). Tractor Supply Co. and other "farm and home" stores also carry them. The cost for the sizes I have was around $6 to $8 each.

Hi, DeeAnna:

It is best to stick with the heat proof glass pyrex either a size 16 oz. or a 32 oz. cup.

Plastic melts in the microwave and always holds the scent you are using even though it is washed.

Margo

Ive been using my pyrex in a pot of water - but those look very handy DeeAnna - thanks!

Margo - while you are correct for most types of plastics, the type of labware DeeAnna pointed to is made for working with chemicals and heat.

I don't make lotion batches as large as you guys, but I'm really fond of my Accu-Pour pitchers for all kinds of kitchen tasks, general soaping use, and lotion making.

They are made of thick, sturdy plastic with good handles. They can be heated in a hot-water bath or microwave safely. They are also lye safe (assuming you might use them with soaping). The pour spout is needle sharp so you can pour accurately. I like how they are tall in proportion to their width, so mixing with a SB is really efficient. They come in 8 oz (250 mL) up to 128 oz (4 qt or 4000 mL).

Manufacturer: http://www.accupitcher.com/Accu-Pour-products.html
They're sold a lot for farm/ranch use and I find them in the ag chemicals section, but don't let that put you off -- they're "...food grade polypropylene that has high chemical resistance to a wide variety of chemicals..." I bought my 500 mL and 1000 mL pitchers at Blains Farm and Fleet (midwestern US). Tractor Supply Co. and other "farm and home" stores also carry them. The cost for the sizes I have was around $6 to $8 each.

Those look great. I too hate using glass due to the heaviness and I've had one explode in the microwave (heat resistant pyrex). I'll have to check the Tractor Supply by my parents next time I'm out that way.

My TS no longer carries them. I've emailed the company with my zip and asked for the nearest place to me that carries them. But TS also does free shipping to a store. So if nobody near me has them, I'll order them to ship to the nearest TS.

This might sound batty but I don't use beakers or the such when I make lotion. I make small batches however and have been good with the plastic food storage containers. They are type 2 plastics and I just waltzed over to target to get them. I'm sure it's not that helpful since the containers hold about a qt each by volume but for water and oil phases they can be useful.

Latest posts

Back