What should I add in MnP soap base to make it suitable for dry skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mumbaisoaper

Reaction score
I have started making soap in small quantities and sell them around my area. I use MnP clear base from a very reputed company and have had a very good experience with them. Don't want to change this vendor.

I want to make a version which is highly moisturizing.

My base are usually in white waffle form.

What ingredients should I add to accomplish this? Pls advice.

Melt and pour is already made soap so adding anything beyond a fragrance or colorant is going to change the soap. You can add oils and butters to it in limited amounts but you're risking decreasing the lather or get a softer bar. I wouldn't recommend adding more than 1 teaspoon of oil or butters per pound of soap. You're better off just buying a moisturizing melt and pour soap.

I'm in Mumbai, India. Shipping cost will be a little too much for me.

Melt and pour is already made soap so adding anything beyond a fragrance or colorant is going to change the soap. You can add oils and butters to it in limited amounts but you're risking decreasing the lather or get a softer bar. I wouldn't recommend adding more than 1 teaspoon of oil or butters per pound of soap. You're better off just buying a moisturizing melt and pour soap.

Any advice on which oil or butter will give the best moisturizing quality.

Any advice on which oil or butter will give the best moisturizing quality.
You can add Shea Butter, Cocoa butter, Kokum Butter, or Mango butter. I'm not sure what you have available in your area. Shea butter is softer while cocoa butter is firmer at room temperature. Cocoa butter can also add a chocolate fragrance to your soap unless you buy deodorized.

You can add Shea Butter, Cocoa butter, Kokum Butter, or Mango butter. I'm not sure what you have available in your area. Shea butter is softer while cocoa butter is firmer at room temperature. Cocoa butter can also add a chocolate fragrance to your soap unless you buy deodorized.
Thank you for replying I will check for the supplies and come back to you on it.

Summarising- I can add upto 20grams of butter in one pound (453grams).

When I did M&P, I always added stuff no matter what the base was. I liked using the butters, but I would also use various oils too, since their benefits weren't saponified away. I've used hemp seed oil, emu oil, kukui nut oil (you may know it as candlenut in India) which is a favorite that got me into soaping to begin with. Olive oil is good too. Really, I found that any of were fine, and it really does make a difference, at least to me.

Your inner chemist can really come out. I've actually gotten things up to a tablespoon per pound total you just need to be on it with mixing.
Melting shea butter (or equivalent) with the M&P base (same time) then adding lighter oils like almond or pumpkin (they don't smell as strong and won't effect the result smell where olive oil carries it's distinctive smell over) with your colour and fragrance does well.
You have to be fast and diligent. It does take practice not to over stir (bubbles cool/set it faster) but don't add to early or hot as stuff can burn on entry. Having the alcohol spritz bottle handy is a life saver.
Happy experimenting 😊

Back