What scents do the guys like?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
My menfolk like Salty Sailor (Daystar), Santa's Pipe (SweetCakes), Twilight Woods (Peak), Redwood (Rustic Escentuals), Paradise (Daystar), West Indies Bay (Oregon Trails), Perfect Man (Nature's Garden), and Northwoods (SweetCakes).

IrishLass :)

Since these haven't been mentioned, my hubby loves Paramour (a Lush Tramp dupe, also one of my favorites) and Pheromone, both from Nurture. Also Nurture has a dupe of Lush's Olive Branch, which is a gorgeous unisex that we both love.

I like some novelty scents but I tend to gravitate towards anything that leaves a light, green scent with some floral and/or fruity notes (usually citrus but I like some surprises). Very little of my FOs are like that. I do also like scents like Nurture's Afternoon Tea and Persephone's Kiss. Spring love, come back to me.

The men in my life all love Sandalwood.
My husband also likes BB Cedar & Saffron, but they changed the usage rate to less than 1% in soap. Now I don't know what to do with this scent....

I'm mainly an essential oil kinda guy, and very partial to anything with bergamot, with cedarwood coming in a close second (anything I make for myself tends to be a blend of these 2, it's fantastic)

Anything with a mint or coffee scent also seems universally liked in my experience!

Am i correct in thinking everyone is using a fragrance oil for sandalwood? Because i tried the essential oil sandalwood (over 60.00 ) in my soap and could not smell a thing when it was dine. I HP but i added the oil just before molding and after the batter cooled down quite a bit. I was sooo sad it didnt smell cause i love sandalwood.

50 Shades (WSP)
Does this one stick for you @shunt2011 ? I made a batch last summer at 1oz PPO, and it faded badly in a few months. There's still scent there, but it is really light. At shows people pick it up and can't smell anything (I think it is so light it is getting overwhelmed by the other scents). Kind of wondering if I should have used more FO.

Around my house:
Dragon's Blood
Anything not fruity or floral (for the most part Chris is not picky about fragrances as long as he doesn't come out smelling like a fruit salad or a rose garden)
WSP Sea Salt & Driftwood
WSP Ed Hardy for Men dupe
BCN Frankincense & Myrrh has been popular, even with the kid who only uses the unscented soap
NG Werewolf

With my customers:
Dragon's Blood
NG The Perfect Man
WSP Tuscan Cedarwood (accelerates very badly for me)
NG Cracklin Birch
NG Dark Musk
Candle Science Green Tea & Lemongrass (shocked me too)

Am i correct in thinking everyone is using a fragrance oil for sandalwood? Because i tried the essential oil sandalwood (over 60.00 ) in my soap and could not smell a thing when it was dine. I HP but i added the oil just before molding and after the batter cooled down quite a bit. I was sooo sad it didnt smell cause i love sandalwood.

Yes, we are talking about sandalwood FOs. Sandalwood EO is far too costly to add to soap. You'd have to use a couple oz (maybe $300?) to get it to stick after curing.

Hubby loves Tobacco and Bay leaf from BB and also Tobacco Caramel from California Candle Supply (Thanks for that @cmzaha ) My dad loved Hardwood Musk from @cmzaha. He took most of the bars I made with that one.

Cracklin birch does not smell anything like Birchwood Oud at all. Very, very different.

I'm imagining some of those FOs and im envious haha.

Hi @Saponificarian, how you been doing? :)

I don't use FOs and the EOs I have are limited. That being said, the three guys (not counting the baby haha) in my life have very different tastes lol

Dad likes cedarwood even alone, didn't mind it mixed with lavender and/or rosemary and/or lemongrass, doesn't like black pepper, likes spearmint but not too much of it, doesn't like tea tree, likes lemon.

SO likes cedarwood, can't detect the lavender with it but likes it with lemongrass, not keen on rosemary, doesn't like spearmint, likes tea tree, patchouli and black pepper but not lemon.

My teenager likes cedarwood with the lemongrass, loves spearmint and doesn't mind tea tree, rosemary and lemon, patchouli and black pepper.

Seems like cedarwood n lemongrass are winners.

Of the three, the first two have not smelled any of my soap made with newer scents (work abroad) so if we go with my teenager, he likes thyme and cinnamon, doesn't like anise.

I have some newer ones that none of em have tried haha.

Oh! and I forgot to mention Shunt's Bay Rum. That bar was a huge hit in our shower with the boys. One of the "basement bathroom boys" came upstairs and stole it, so I had to cut it in half so they could share between the two bathrooms (the 3rd bathroom doesn't have a shower).

I used Cypress and Bayberry (Candle Science) in my beer soap and it was a nice fresh scent:
Note Profile:
Top: Eucalyptus, bay laurel, ozone
Middle: Bayberry, cypress, moss
Base: Fir balsam, incense, patchouli

I used another Candle Science one called Black Currant Absinthe in my charcoal soap - I thought it was a bit masculine, and my friends son loves it in his soap. next time I made it I added a bit of Anise EO with it, and I think it improved it ( took away the 'perfumey' smell)

I recently used my new Ho Leaf EO as a base note in my 'Best Fragrance Ever' soap - I think you could could do something with that in a blend - with bergamot, vetiver perhaps? Someone posted this recently and I love it: https://www.eocalc.com

Watching with interest, because I want to make a 'man's' soap too. The thing is, it's usually women that buy it for them, so i guess it needs to be appealing to them too?

ETA: Just did a 'smell test' on hubby.

He liked my new charcoal soap fragrance for its earthiness:
10g Patchouli EO

6g Cedarwood EO

3g Vetiver EO

5g Bergamot EO

5g Litsea Cubeba EO

6g Palmarosa EO

He also liked ( close second) the Black Currant Absinthe with Anise EO

..and didn't mind White tea FO ( Candle Science) or Breezes and Sunshine, but they were bordering on being a bit perfume-y.

Edited to fix unrequired apostrophe that was bugging me :)

Last edited:
I prefer either citrus scents or tree tree herb blend. If I'm feeling lucky I'll mix bergamot, grapefruit, lemon and orange EOs with tea tree, eucalyptus and peppermint EO. I did find an EO recipe for bay rum and am now trying to find the bay oil (which is hard to locate).

Patchouli, patchouli, and patchouli!
I love the way DH smells after he showers with a bar of patchouli soap. I always think he must have splurged on Aveda shampoo or some fine cologne, but nope, just patchouli soap. <3

Back