What scents do the guys like?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son (16) adores Dragon's Blood and anything with sandalwood and/or patchouli. But he was also tickled when an EO blend went into salt bars and came out smelling like licorice.

My husband isn't picky, but he also likes Dragon's Blood and sandalwood, and the licorice salt bars. I just got a bottle of Oudh Wood FO from Nurture, and hubby likes the scent in the bottle. The kid hasn't smelled it yet, but I think he'll like it too.

Right now they're using a Dark Crystal bar from Ophelia's Soapery. I think it came from BB, but I could be mistaken. I made a batch of uncolored Dragon's Blood (Nurture Soap) coconut bars a few weeks ago and have had to guard them ever since. But my living room smells wonderful!

My son is a classic Taurus, so he's almost mad that some lemony scented bars smell like actual lemon bars. He doesn't think things should smell like food unless they're edible. My girls are the exact opposite, so I still have to make something for them.

Of the FOs I use, the all-time favorite for the menfolk so far is Cracklin' Birch (NG). I don't use a lot of different FOs, however, so keep that in mind. But I have two male customers who order entire batches of beer soap scented Cracklin' Birch (14 bars).

NDA's His Urban Beat and Happy Men are popular around here. Also the Mahogany Teak & Black Teak, Shave & a Haircut, and Route 66 from Nature's Fragrance.

How different/similar are Cracklin Birch and Birchwood Oud? I just happen to have most of a 4 oz bottle of the latter because I ordered 4 oz when I wanted 2 oz. I have mostly used it in blends with something else because it seems very strong. It’s also one of the only scents I have that I would characterize as smelling like a cologne. My nephew likes it, but I haven’t moved it into wider distribution. I may already have some of the NG FOs mentioned.

How different/similar are Cracklin Birch and Birchwood Oud?
To my nose, I think they are very different. I've only had Cracklin Birch one time, but for whatever reason I smell spices with a smoky undertone (almost frankincense like). I don't remember the citrus top notes, or the floral middles, but they very well might have been there. It is super strong, and a small tester I made nearly a year ago is still well scented. Most people that smelled it liked it. I haven't soaped Birchwood Oud, but since you have it you can maybe see how your impressions OOB compare to mine. I smell a softer blend of citrus (bergamot?) and ozone/ocean notes and not much in the way of smoky/woody notes.

My hubby really likes BB Rustic Woods and Rum, my son's favorite is NS Winter Wonderland, and my SIL likes Peppermint or Bergamot based fragrances - FB Bergamot Tobacco is nice if I remember correctly. A blend that the men in my family seem to like is Sandalwood (I like Sweet Cakes best) blended with BB Vetyver. NS Anarchy is another one most seem to like.

Last edited by a moderator:
"...How different/similar are Cracklin Birch and Birchwood Oud?..."

I also can't help you there. I've never tried the Oud, so can't compare.

A funny thing about sandalwood for men is that of four fragrancies I offered to a man sandalwood was the one he really disliked he said. And I was sure that would be THE fragrancy for him :-( But that was only one, others would buy (felted) soap for their ladies.

Cracklin Birch doesn't sound at all like I expected. From NG:
Top Notes: bergamot, orange, lemon
Mid Notes: geranium, lily, rose
Base Notes: patchouli, vetiver, tonka beans

And, the description is quite different from Birchwood Oud as given by BB: a complex mix of wild cypress, ozone, makrut lime, sea salt, oud, elemi, leather, amber, ocean moss, and frankincense.

Found this description of "Oud". Are there many FOs that smell like damp rot? Does it equate to earthy?

The scent itself varies considerably depending on the wood used, where the tree was grown and whether the tree itself was cultivated or naturally infected. The fragrance is - unsurprisingly - described as warm, woody with a slight hint of damp rot, while some varieties are smoky and sweet.

I couldn't sell Santa's Pipe either. I liked it but nobody else did. I sell quite a bit of Dragon's Blood but equally to men as women. Sandalwood generally women. Interesting how different things sell in different places.
I bought "Sensuous Sandalwood" thinking it sounded nice for me, but I've seen quite a few references to it being popular with men.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a disconnect IMO between what NG says about Cracklin' Birch and what my (admittedly amateur) nose tells me. These are my notes about Cracklin' Birch --

Fragrance notes, listed from most to least: Warm spice (cinnamon, touch of clove) , wood, musk, sharp. (By sharp, I mean the spice notes are bright, maybe even a tiny bit peppery, as opposed to soft and mellow.) Overall impression after cure: Spicy, woodsy

Latest posts

Back