What scents are you drawn to?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Although I haven't been soaping for that long and I am already a FO hoarder I am wonder what class of scents people are drawn to, and why.

I love spice scents. My favorite scent is Darkness by Nature's Fragrance. It has that spice scent but it is more complex than a pumpkin pie, or cinnamon apple, etc. For me spice is both exotic and home.

I used to like fruity/citrus but now I’m a huge White Tea fan! The fruity scents are nice but they are too light and not complex enough for me. I do like a nice cinnamon-heavy fragrance when I’ve used them recently. Apple Harvest from Candle Science is one, and it sticks for over a year, so win/win!

Light and elegant floral scent, sweet but not too sweet. Peony and orange blossom/neroli, violet are the first on my mind.
Combination of herbal/medicine scent and citrus, like lavender lemonade, ginger white tea.
Unisex clean scent like white musk is my fav. Oakmoss, sandalwood, musk, and amber are warm and nice without being too spicy, gives me a nostalgic feeling. Yankee's Midsummer Dream is in my car all year long. Just can't get enough of that cold scent.

I'm a bit triggered by super sweet floral/tropical/berry scent, probably from the college days where my friends will drag me to Victoria's Secret every week and I dreaded it.
Not a big fan of spicy scents as well, but that's more due to culinary differences. Spices like anise and cinnamon are usually associated with meat cooking, braised pork, hearty broth, etc. Yummy, but not something I want in my soap or lotion.

Last edited:
I'm a sucker for a powerful floral, particularly florals with an earthy undertone. An example would the Wholesale Supplies Plus Crafter's Choice's dupes for AVEDA'S Euphoria and Shampure. Lilac, honeysuckle, a blend of waterfall lily and lilac...I'm smitten.

I also adore scents generally marketed as baby scents...baby powder, lavendar and chamomile, tranquil sleep...anything like that.

Finally, back on the Aveda line of thinking, things that are similar to spa scents...earthy scents that aren't based in patchouli and not heavy or overbearing...lavendar & cedarwood, eucalyptus spearmint, lavendar and rosemary...you can hit me with those all day and I could die happy!

I'm all over the map, fragrance-wise. Love green fresh smells as well as green earthy smells. But wait--there are quite a number of florals I love, as well as the dark, woody fragrances like patchouli and oakmoss, and the bright citrus and spicy fragrances. Every so often I'll find a fragrance whose type I normally dislike (I dislike sweet and/or foody fragrances) and love it, like Pink Sugar.

So, yeah. I have way too many fragrances because I like way too many fragrances...

I'm all over the map, fragrance-wise. Love green fresh smells as well as green earthy smells. But wait--there are quite a number of florals I love, as well as the dark, woody fragrances like patchouli and oakmoss, and the bright citrus and spicy fragrances. Every so often I'll find a fragrance whose type I normally dislike (I dislike sweet and/or foody fragrances) and love it, like Pink Sugar.

So, yeah. I have way too many fragrances because I like way too many fragrances...
I hear ya. It's amazing how many scents I like really - I've tried to be more specific above, but often I try a new scent and think yeah - I like that too, and it surprises me because it falls into the category of one I think I wouldn't like. More recent examples of this are:
Lime, Basil, and Mandarin
Lavender and Liquorice
Rosemary and Sage
Ocean Breeze
I think I ought to start ordering FOs that I specifically don't like the sound of - that way I probably will end up with something wonderful!

I like soft scents on my person. I enjoy smelling greener scents with fruity / floral notes as well as some aldehyde-y spicy scents. I just can't use strongly scented items or they trigger migraines I don't feel like having.

So far, the only FOs that I don’t like much are those that remind me of certain perfumes or colognes. I think it has something to do with how many “notes” there are, or possibly there are certain notes I should avoid. BB’s Birchwood Oud is an example. I’m still trying to use up a 4 oz. bottle I ordered by mistake when I bought my very first FOs. I discovered through trial and error that I like it blended with other FOs that have stronger single notes (similar to the way patchouli serves as a good base note for other EOs). The FOs I like the most tend to have names that reflect one or two dominant notes, e.g. “Ginger & Lime,” “Osmanthus,” “Green Tea,” “Wild Rose,” “Juniper Sage,” “Expresso” and “White Ginger & Amber.” I avoid anything that sounds like it will be very sweet smelling. I love, love, love most EOs, especially patchouli, lavender and the citrusy and woodsy/piney ones.

I used to like fruity/citrus but now I’m a huge White Tea fan! The fruity scents are nice but they are too light and not complex enough for me. I do like a nice cinnamon-heavy fragrance when I’ve used them recently. Apple Harvest from Candle Science is one, and it sticks for over a year, so win/win!
Kiwimoose,

I think I've found a kindred spirit!

#1 favorite is lemongrass

#2 favorite is dragons blood

#3 favorite is coffee & tea scents

#4 favorite is FB rose goddess

#5 favorite is pink chiffon

#6 favorite is Macintosh Apple

#7 favorite is candle science Amber noir

So my favorite scents are all over the spectrum.

Latest posts

Back