what recipe is best for acne?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soap_ph

Reaction score
Hi guys! Please share you recipe best for acne. I need to make once for my teen daughter since none of the commercial soaps are working on her. Thanks in advance!

When I had bad acne my favorite facial soaps were ones with very little actual cleansing. And from browsing Etsy and these forums I see a lot of common ingredients among acne and healing skin soaps--

Antiseptic essential oils: Tea Tree, Clove, Thyme, Lavender

Anti-inflammatory essential oils: Chamomile, Ginger, Helichrysum, Patchouli

Base oils: neem oil (antiseptic/antifungal), grapeseed oil (mild astringent), jojoba (a liquid wax but can be used at small %, close to skin's natural oils)

Krista, excellent thread, thanks for linking to it.

DeeAnna, I have to say after reading it, you are a patient woman. I think after a while I would just ignore some of the more aggravating questions. People could do a tiny bit of research first. Saying that does make me think back to some of my many EDTA posts where you gently said "I'm not sure, you might want to try it", though :)

Last edited:
For those of you who use pine tar, does it have really noticeable results? I was pretty amazed at the difference in the before/after pics on the first page of Krista's link, it almost looked like one of those ads for miracle products that you never believe are actually true. B/t/w, it is a long thread, but the actual recipe is included w/in the first two or three pages. I am going to have to make that one for my nephew.

Last edited:
I third salt bar. I have suffered with major breakouts into adulthood until I started using salt bars and mine and my girls as well have the best skin ever. Rarely breakout anymore. Though I only use it 4 or 5 times a week and on other days use something low cleansing as I can get a bit dry otherwise. I tried pine tar and didn't get the same results.

My family swears by my pine tar soap. Other folks have reported back it helps with rashes, athletes foot, and dermatitis. My recipe is kinda weird, but I'm not allowed to change a thing or my girls/their boyfriends would revolt on me. It's the one soap they get anxious about running out of...

Sub 100% water for tea I make from calendula petals and freeze (I brew it pretty strong - water is very dark)
Pine Tar: 10%
Lard: 25%
Shea: 5%
Avocado Oil: 15%
CO: 21%
Castor: 5%
OO: 14%
Mango Seed Butter: 5%

Sugar: 3tsp ppo
Salt: 2tsp ppo

Add pine tar at trace. Batter will move crazy fast... plop into molds as fast as possible (it's an exciting recipe).

Like anything else, it is trial and error to find what will work. Sometimes some will work for awhile but not forever. My daughter who suffers from Cystic Acne goes nuts. Right now the pine tar is helping, whereas for about a year my Neem soap helped, for awhile she could not use any handmade soap only Cetaphil. Right now she is doing well with charcoal facial scrubs alternating with the pine tar. Salt bars do not work for her at all, but work great for my eczema. Do make sure there are no tar allergies or allergies to pine trees, etc. Pine tar at one time was almost deadly for me, now it is just aggravating. Hopefully you find the one that works

thank you for all your suggestions. im not quite sure where i can find pine tar here in my country (philippines). for now i think i can make the salt bar. can you use salt bar everyday? doesnt it make your skin dry? and its good for oily skin also right? can you please share your recipe for salt bar. thank you!!! god bless you all =)

thank you so much for this thread the efficacious gentleman! i have learned a LOT! i'll do obsidian's recipe! thanks!

Back