What ratio of lye, water, and oil do I need for 100% Sesame Oil soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slakam

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking to make bar soap using sesame oil as my only oil but I haven't been able to find any recipes online.

So I'm wondering how much lye water and sesame oil I'll need.

Does the lye to oil ratio change depending on the type of oil? And what ratio do I need?

Thanks for your help :)

Yes, the amount of lye needed depends on what oils you use. It is best practice for soap makers to run ALL recipes through a lye calculator including online recipes and published books. Typos happen and as you know there is plenty of sketchy stuff on the interwebs. When I was a new soaper and even still now, I like the simplicity of Lye Calculator and Fragrance Calculator. As I gained knowledge I started to use the one on this forum. Click "Calculator" on the top dark brown bar.

Well worth your time to watch some videos and read some. I like Scientific Soapmaking. You don't have to do all the calculations, but good to have some general idea of the chemistry. Play with the calculators. Read some about the fatty acids.

Hi,
I agree with kiwiMoose. I've tried making 100 % Sesame oil. The soap was unique and extra gentle. However, Sesame oil are high in Linoleic Acid (about 40 %), which makes it more susceptible to rancidity. Including other oils and an antioxidant, like vitamin E, can improve Sesame Oil soap. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, thanks for your help!

I ended up making the sesame oil soap about 3 months ago (using the calculator at the top of the site) and set it out to cure. I works fine as soap and I quite like the feel but even after all this time curing it still disintegrates quite quickly when I try to use it. I do use it in the shower as well as at the kitchen sink (same bar) so maybe somehow the humidity is causing this (?) Even still it feels like I should be able to use soap in the sower.

I'm looking to make another batch now and I'd love to know if I did something wrong last time or if there's any way I can make these bars last longer and behave more like "regular" store-bought soap.

Is it because they're 100% sesame oil? I'd like to stick to sesame oil if possible but I'm not totally against incorporating other oils if need be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank u :>

Due to the fatty acid profile of your 100% sesame oil soaps, you will never have a bar of soap that is not highly soluble and dissolves quickly, because sesame oil is extremely low in palmitic and stearic acids. You will need to add in lard, tallow, palm, shea butter, cocoa butter, other hard kinds of butter, or even soy wax to extend the solubility of your soaps. In other words, a solid oil or butter that contains palmitic and/or stearic acid properties. There are help files in the calculators, here and great articles by DeeAnna about fatty acid profiles that you should study. Soapy Stuff

Ditto what @cmzaha said.

You also might like to try adding 10%-15% coconut oil (for lather and hardness) plus 5% castor oil (for lather) both of which are readily available at Walmart (pharmacy for the castor) and other stores. Faux Sea Water will also help with hardness. In other words...

Zany's No Slime Castile - Make a small 300 - 500 gram batch with sesame oil instead of olive oil to see how it works for you. If you try it, please post results in a separate thread entitled ZNSC with Sesame Oil or something similar. :thumbs: :)

You didn't do anything wrong. It's just the nature of sesame oil.

I like sesame oil, but I found that the 100% sesame oil soap that I made (as an experiment in making several different single oil soaps) turned tacky over time even when not used for washing. Eventually I threw it away because it just got softer over time and I expected it to turn to DOS. I do like sesame oil in soap,, but not at 100% for the above reasons, but don't use it often because I prefer it for cooking and it's not a cheap oil.

Latest posts

Back