What percentage of EO or FO for CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerthMobility

Reaction score
Sorry about all the Acronym's. Just the old man showing off. :)

General wisdom seems to be that essential oils and fragrance oils should be added at the rate of about 6% of oils in a CP. However some recipes use quite different amounts.

Are there any web resources/sites where I can discover just how much of each should be used? I have done a lot of searching but can not find. I am particularly interested in Australia Essential Oils. Thanks

It will depend on the EO/FO. I recommend you check the supplier recommendations. They do vary. For example Bay Rum from WSP usage is 2.3% yet Raspberry Lemonade is 5%. EO citrus can be used at 5% yet Clive or Cinnamon .5%.

So from .5% to 6% is a BIG range. Many thanks for the warning.

I have approached one distributor of Aus EO's but he said that as he does not make soap he can not help me.

Perhaps the SMF community will be able, as you have done, to provide me with the amounts they have found from experience, are optimum amounts to use?

The Sage has a fragrance calculator which includes a lot of EOs.
https://www.thesage.com/calcs/FragCalc.html

If I don't feel like looking up the FO, I go with somewhere between 1 and 2 tablespoons per pound of oils (PPO). I add 1 Tbsp PPO, then sniff the soap and see how I feel about it.

Well spotted. Many thanks as that seems to be what I have been looking for even though some of the Aus EO's are not included I should be able to get close with the FragCalc.

You really need to know the IFRA recommendations on usage rates for various essential oils. There is no one rule regarding how much ppo for all essential oils. And I never, ever measure fragrances by teaspoons or tablespoons, always by weight, usually weighed in grams when mixing essential oils. I like to blend in grams, it's easy to make the blend with drops, then equate the drops to grams when making the actual blend for the batch of soap. Sorry, I'm rambling, I hope it makes some sense.

Makes a lot of good sense, thanks Ann. Ounces and pounds went out of fashion about 30 years ago in Aus, so yes I do all my measuring with digital scales in grams, milliliters, kilograms and percentages.

For the purposes of the experiment I have translated 1oz/lb into 6.0%/oil. I hope this is close to being correct.

I have just started soap making so have been using the 25ml bottles you can get her in NZ.I add one 25ml bottle to my 1kg of oils and out of the 6 I have tried only one(Honey,milk and oats) hasn't been strong enough.I was worried 25mls wouldn't be enough but so far its good.Works out at about 2.5% of oils used

I think you have got it right for EO, Swampy but general wisdom seems to say that you need more than that, perhaps 6% for FO.

I guess it is very much a case of trial and error and make quite sure you record the recipe for when you get it right.

I think it's wise to start at 25g per kg of oil (12 g ppo). BB champagne doesn't need more than that for me. But I guess there are others who prefer it stronger.

Back