What Other Wax Can I Use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I would like to try my hand at candle making in the future and I am allergic to beeswax, my son is allergic to soy and I do not want to use parrafin wax due to chemicals. Are there any other waxes out there I could use to make a candle? Thank you!

Hello, I would like to try my hand at candle making in the future and I am allergic to beeswax, my son is allergic to soy and I do not want to use parrafin wax due to chemicals. Are there any other waxes out there I could use to make a candle? Thank you!
What chemicals are you speaking of for paraffin? All wax raw materials have to go through processing in order for it to become usable as candle wax, and no one way is better than another.

When a candle is made right, they will burn "clean" - I use the parenthesis because all candles, no matter the type of wax will emit soot - all - no matter what. How much soot is determined by how it's made, the type of wax will determine the soot color.

There are several other options such as Palm, coconut wax, etc., The best thing do do would probably take a look at some candlemaking companies and see what is available that you are comfortable with using.

What chemicals are you speaking of for paraffin? All wax raw materials have to go through processing in order for it to become usable as candle wax, and no one way is better than another.

When a candle is made right, they will burn "clean" - I use the parenthesis because all candles, no matter the type of wax will emit soot - all - no matter what. How much soot is determined by how it's made, the type of wax will determine the soot color.

There are several other options such as Palm, coconut wax, etc., The best thing do do would probably take a look at some candlemaking companies and see what is available that you are comfortable with using.
Is this not accurate then?

https://portal.nifa.usda.gov/web/cr...-candles-for-healthy-life-and-well-being.html
https://happywax.com/blogs/from-the-blog/7-health-issues-caused-by-paraffin-wax

I would love it if all the articles out there about parrafin wax being toxic are untrue. Parrafin wax is the cheapest wax out there and I'm not allergic to it, lol. So that would be perfect! But the studies are scary!

If they aren't true, you talk about using a clean wax. Do you have a brand you would recommend most?

I'm curious, are there any other waxes than the 3 mentioned here?

As far as allergens are concerned, paraffin would be best. How often do you hear of mineral oil or Vaseline allergies? All of these are petroleum-based products.

Fair enough, but consider the procedure for testing allergic sensitivity: skin.
You may have missed this reading the link posted in #10 above, in the "Conclusion":
In summary, the answer to “can soy candles cause allergies” is…. probably not. Soy candles are actually a popular choice for people who want to reduce the risk of allergies.

The only problem with soy wax that I am familiar with is that, here in the USA, soybeans are "GMO" -- genetically modified -- therefore, importing US soybean oil was banned in EU, Japan and Canada early on in the GMO controversy, relating to ingesting soy oil, not skin allergies,

my son is allergic to soy
Quick question: Is it a skin allergy? Or food allergy?

I see your point, LOL. Considering she said this was for her son (and I’m assuming child), I don’t think she’ll be using it that way. 🤪
People use wax candles as lotion all the time, not just for "sexy" time. So like I said, I wouldn't put it past people, nor assume anything.

I wonder why you don’t agree with massage candles. Is it the soy?
Soy isn't the only wax people use for massage candles. No, it's because people work so hard to get a candle to burn correctly in the first place, and with "massage" candles literally after the first massage there is no way possible it will ever burn correctly again.
Not to mention the ick factor of using it more than just the one time, and the fact that there are so many better options for massages than wax from a burning candle.

Soy isn't the only wax people use for massage candles. No, it's because people work so hard to get a candle to burn correctly in the first place, and with "massage" candles literally after the first massage there is no way possible it will ever burn correctly again.
Not to mention the ick factor of using it more than just the one time, and the fact that there are so many better options for massages than wax from a burning candle.
You’re so right. W

You’re so right. I am starting to make candles and I was wondering what you think about using Young Living oils in candles for aroma therapy.

Also, thanks for sharing.

Back