what other ingredients have you used to increase lather

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heartsong, thanks for sharing your recipe, it looks very nice, very close to my numbers in my favorite recipe! Nice. :)

Paul :wink:

lather

just tried a bar from my newest endeavor-i subbed 8oz of my liquids as heavy whipping cream added at trace-omg! it had the creamiest lather! my skin feels sooooo soft-like i put on lotion. i used oakmoss from www.soapsupplies.net it is my favorite of all the oakmosses i've tried!

has anyone tried soymilk?

I have a friend who is totally vegan and has given me some powdered soy milk to make soap with so he can experience the Milk & Honey Soap. I'll let you know how it turns out - although it'll be a few days before I get to it as I need to make another big batch of base to be able to re-batch with.

Cheers

Would honey work the same way the sugar/water syrup does? I just added 1/2 tsp. of honey to a 1lb batch I made tonight because I figured it would....

honey sure does. I use about 6 X that (a tablespoon per pound of oils) so I don't know if that's enough to give much impact - but I love what honey does to my soaps.

SoapyScrubs said:
could I add sugar to my m& p soap to help the lather as well?

I don't think so, as you would have to dissolve the sugar in water first. Can one of our resident MP experts chime in on this & confirm? Ta! :lol:

lather

SoapyScrubs said:

that is a really good question! from my books you use alcohol and sugar to process and make glycerine soap from scratch.

since m/p is not my forte', i can not speak with any authority, but maybe see if powdered sugar will dissolve in your fragrance oils????

I find that sugar increases the bubbles in the fluffy lather.

Castor oil helps with creamy lather but the more castor you add, the less fluffy oils you'll have in your total recipe, so adding castor actually reduces the fluffiness somewhat. This is a little-known fact, which DH and I have worked out in our soapmaker program.

If you have soapmaker, try this: add castor to a recipe, then click in the amount box. Little arrows will appear, allowing you to increase or decrease an oil. Watch the graph move as you increase the castor and you'll see what happens in terms of the four major soap qualities.

SoapyScrubs wrote:

I don't think so, as you would have to dissolve the sugar in water first. Can one of our resident MP experts chime in on this & confirm? Ta!

Hi soapyscrubs, I am not an MP expert, however I have been making quite a few different MP recipes for over 11 months now and I can tell you what didn't work with sugar :lol: I added 1 tablespoon of sugar granules to my pound (500gram) melted MP base and stirred until the mix was cool enough to suspend (I thought) the sugar through the soap as an exfoliant - didn't work for me! The sugar still sank to the bottom of my pretty moulds and then stuck fast when I went to unmould :x

I immersed the moulds in a shallow hot water bath and got the soap out but the top surface looked ugly (no pretty pattern) and sort of crumbled.

Try dissolving the sugar into a solution and add as a water based ingredient (no more than 1 tablespoon per pound) and see what it does maybe :?: Or just use honey :)

thanks for your input. I shall try both later on 2nite or tomorrow. Maybe I will do the powdered sugar in water. Would it call for a preservative?

thanks for your input. I shall try both later on 2nite or tomorrow. Maybe I will do the powdered sugar in water. Would it call for a preservative?

Not sure on that one. My instinct says 'no' as the sugar dissolved in solution will blend in with the base and incorporate evenly, so the soap base should 'preserve' the additive..... :?: ....as it surrounds all the molecules.... :?

I have never preserved any MP recipe that I have added honey to and they all seem fine, however Tabitha is a real expert on MP and may have a different idea here.....perhaps she will happen along and help out :)

Tanya

lather

a note about my recipe: i mentioned that my recipe is less stiff, more pourable than nizzy's, but the phone rang while i was soaping, and not paying attention to what i was about, i whipped my soap longer than usual-it was firm like soft whipped cream and i had to spoon it out and use a spatula to smooth the top. no problem-i also noted an increase in volume. the soap came out remarkably well-no difference in qualities, and just as easy to cut.

i find this so facinating! you learn something new every day!

Back