What oils do you like for your salt bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfa_Lazcares

Reaction score
I made a batch of salt bars using 100% coconut oil that i loved and then i made another batch using coconut, olive and castor... and was not impressed. So i was wondering what oils do you like to add to your salt bars besides the coconut.

To me the bars with olive and castor lack that fluffy lather the 100% coconut bars made. It still has that kind of lather but it seems more difficult to achieve.

I use 50% salt and i dont think i need any more nor any less.

I dont want to use butters since i havent purchased any yet, but i do have almond, olive, soy, avocado and crisco!

I made a batch of salt bars using 100% coconut oil that i loved and then i made another batch using coconut, olive and castor... and was not impressed. So i was wondering what oils do you like to add to your salt bars besides the coconut.
To me the bars with olive and castor lack that fluffy lather the 100% coconut bars made. It still has that kind of lather but it seems more difficult to achieve.
I use 50% salt and i dont think i need any more nor any less.
I dont want to use butters since i havent purchased any yet, but i do have almond, olive, soy, avocado and crisco!
The coconut oil is what give it that quick, fluffy lather. Salt inhibits lather, which is why most people use such a high concentration of coconut oil. You can use any oil in a salt bar, but as you have found out, it will be harder and take longer to achieve any sort of 'fluffy' lather.

Personally in my salt bars I use coconut oil, shea butter and almond oil.

The coconut oil is what give it that quick, fluffy lather. Salt inhibits lather, which is why most people use such a high concentration of coconut oil. You can use any oil in a salt bar, but as you have found out, it will be harder and take longer to achieve any sort of 'fluffy' lather.

Personally in my salt bars I use coconut oil, shea butter and almond oil.

Thanks! Yes, i know i sacrifice some fluffy lather by adding other oils, but the thing is that i dont feel the olive and castor bring anything to the soap. May i ask why do you like those two oils (the almond and shea)?

Thanks! Yes, i know i sacrifice some fluffy lather by adding other oils, but the thing is that i dont feel the olive and castor bring anything to the soap. May i ask why do you like those two oils (the almond and shea)?
They make my salt bars less cleansing, and I like the feel of the salt bar better with them than just a 100% coconut oil salt bar.

In my opinion, Olive Oil doesn't introduce much in the way of lather, so adding it to a salt bar is really not doing justice to a salt bar. I have been doing 80% CO and 20% Avocado Oil which I think was recommended to me by @shunt2011, and my husband really likes that combination. Salt bars are the only soap I intentionally use avocado oil for.

I have to confess that I am not a salt bar fan, they have to have a really ridiculous amount of aging on them (I mean 2+ years) before I kinda-sorta like them, so I relied on my husband when I was testing the recipes. He loves them and will use them at 8 weeks cure *note that a longer cure time really is recommended for salt bars, this is just how long my husband is willing to wait if he is completely out and I have dilly-dallied on making them, please don't bash me about salt bars needing a longer cure I KNOW* Back to the point, I tried a lot of oil combinations and avocado was the winner for my husband. I did not try any butters, though. I also did not try HO sunflower, HO safflower, or HO canola... but those are even higher oleic than olive oil so I'm inclined to think I would like them less. I did try rice bran oil, which was nice, but hubby liked the skin feel of avocado better.

In my opinion, Olive Oil doesn't introduce much in the way of lather, so adding it to a salt bar is really not doing justice to a salt bar. I have been doing 80% CO and 20% Avocado Oil which I think was recommended to me by @shunt2011, and my husband really likes that combination. Salt bars are the only soap I intentionally use avocado oil for.

I have to confess that I am not a salt bar fan, they have to have a really ridiculous amount of aging on them (I mean 2+ years) before I kinda-sorta like them, so I relied on my husband when I was testing the recipes. He loves them and will use them at 8 weeks cure *note that a longer cure time really is recommended for salt bars, this is just how long my husband is willing to wait if he is completely out and I have dilly-dallied on making them, please don't bash me about salt bars needing a longer cure I KNOW* Back to the point, I tried a lot of oil combinations and avocado was the winner for my husband. I did not try any butters, though. I also did not try HO sunflower, HO safflower, or HO canola... but those are even higher oleic than olive oil so I'm inclined to think I would like them less. I did try rice bran oil, which was nice, but hubby liked the skin feel of avocado better.

Ha! Forgot to add the last batch i made just a few days ago was with avocado but only at 5% i might try to ads more next, but first i will wait to try the one i made. I am reaaaaally trying to wait a year to use a bar i made like 3 months ago, but that same batch i did use already, and i think i’m on your husbands team, i need my salt bars, even if they are not quite ready.

I use 80% coconut, 20% olive. I've tried other oils in place of the olive and just don't like it as well. The OO seems to give a bit more longevity and mildness.

I think it was because i saw your answer in another topic that i ended up using olive on my second batch of salt bars. I agree the batch with olive seems to have more longevity that without, but as for mildness i dont think i notices that much of a difference. Another thing i didnt quite like about the olive is that the bars ended up yellow haha, but my olive was super green to start with.

I think it was because i saw your answer in another topic that i ended up using olive on my second batch of salt bars. I agree the batch with olive seems to have more longevity that without, but as for mildness i dont think i notices that much of a difference. Another thing i didnt quite like about the olive is that the bars ended up yellow haha, but my olive was super green to start with.

How long did you cure them? I cure for at least 6 months now. I'm not actually using OO anymore due to the price increase, have switched over to HO safflower. Its cheap and makes a nice white soap.

I have used 80% coconut oil with 5% castor; some with 15% olive and some with 15% avocado and like both. The last batch I made I used some cocoa butter, and I don't like it as well. I age mine a minimum of 6 months also.

How long did you cure them? I cure for at least 6 months now. I'm not actually using OO anymore due to the price increase, have switched over to HO safflower. Its cheap and makes a nice white soap.

The bars with olive are 8 weeks today and the 100% coconut are 10 weeks. I know they still need to age more, i am keeping at least a bar of every batch i make to test in a number of months, so i am keeping one of the olive ones to see if my opinion changes is a few more months. But I really liked the 100% coconut even at its young age!

Latest posts

Back