What non-soapy thing did ya do with soap stuff?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@AliOop here is the "butter" recipe: How to Make Vegan Butter - Regular Vegan Butter - Coconut Oil Base
And here is a yummy cream cheese frosting recipe: How to Make Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting

I'm happy to be the resident vegan resource! I do remember eating eggs cooked in bacon grease and I sure loved it at the time. I settle for smoked salt now on everything now. I'm vegan because I feel better without the animal products. I have no intention of telling people how they should eat! That is potentially more personal than religion, IMHO.

HA! I smoked two boneless pork shoulders, total weight pre-cook @ 15.94 LBS. (That's 7.23 KG for the @ResolvableOwl & metric centric members.)

12 hours on a Pit Boss Pellet smoker with Hickory pellets and spritzing the meat every hour with a 50/50 mixture of Rice vinegar and Apple Cider. Smoke @ 200° F until internal temp is 175° F, then into a foil roasting pan, covered, and in the oven at 205° for three hours. Then a resting period of 3 hours @ 170° F so juices will remain intact in the meat.

These two morsels of barbeque heaven are BUTTER KNIFE TENDER! Whoop! :dance:

View attachment 62787

Gently pulled apart and excess fatty parts tossed. Melt in your mouth tender... P-I-G HOG!
It all fit into a 6 quart slow cooker for re-heating tomorrow for Thanksgiving, and YES, I drizzled the pan juices over the top of the pulled pork to keep it moist, tasty and utterly delectable.

In addition, a 19.5lb turkey in "SPATCHCOCK" mode for smoking on the Pit Boss with a combo of Oak, Apple and Cherry pellets.
For those who don't know what a Spatchcock turkey is... remove the backbone entirely by having the butcher cut it out. Then take a KENWORTH W900 Tractor and drive over it to flatten it out.

View attachment 62788

Seriously though.... LOL! Place the bird breast side up and flatten it out using both hands. Lay it out on the smoker racks as follows:
View attachment 62789

Smoke at 225° F for 13-14 minutes per pound until breast meat temp is 165°-168° F. Option is for the first hour to smoke at 200° F where the pellet smoker puts out more smoke, the kick it up to 225°F.

The "soapy thing I did" was to clean up the aluminum pan, my hands, the counter, the meat temp probe, etc.
Beautifully smoked and looks Yummy. My only difference is I use a Smokin' Tex electric wood smoker which I have used over 10 years. We smoked a Pork Loin last week. SmokinTex Electric BBQ Smokers | Commercial Smokers, Residential and Catering Electric Meat Smokers

I've been meaning to try making macaroni and cheese with sodium citrate ever since fellow member Brewer George posted about it in a thread a few years ago, but I've still not gotten around to it.

I use my lye to make homemade pretzels, and I've also used my lye to restore a few old, cruddy, cast iron pans (made a lye bath of a specific percentage, soaked the pans in it for about 3 days to a week to get it down to the bare iron before re-seasoning), and I use a mixture of lard and beeswax to make seasoning sticks with which to season my cast iron pans. They work great!

IrishLass :)

@AliOop here is the "butter" recipe: How to Make Vegan Butter - Regular Vegan Butter - Coconut Oil Base
And here is a yummy cream cheese frosting recipe: How to Make Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting

I'm happy to be the resident vegan resource! I do remember eating eggs cooked in bacon grease and I sure loved it at the time. I settle for smoked salt now on everything now. I'm vegan because I feel better without the animal products. I have no intention of telling people how they should eat! That is potentially more personal than religion, IMHO.
Thank you so much - can't wait to try these recipes! Some years ago, I tried eating vegan for about six months. Sadly, it crashed my metabolism and initiated some thyroid problems that have yet to be straightened out. I do much better eating meat, fish, eggs, and lots of fruits and veggies. But I still have to be dairy-free, as do many family members.

All that to say, I agree that we all have to figure out what food (and soap!) works best for our bodies. People are very different from one another, and I can't presume to suggest that everyone should eat like I do. :)

Last edited:
I've been meaning to try making macaroni and cheese with sodium citrate ever since fellow member Brewer George posted about it in a thread a few years ago, but I've still not gotten around to it.

I use my lye to make homemade pretzels, and I've also used my lye to restore a few old, cruddy, cast iron pans (made a lye bath of a specific percentage, soaked the pans in it for about 3 days to a week to get it down to the bare iron before re-seasoning), and I use a mixture of lard and beeswax to make seasoning sticks with which to season my cast iron pans. They work great!

I don't think my cast iron pan made the move, it wasn't an heirloom so no huge loss. Thanks for the lye bath tip, I'll have to keep my eye out for one next time I go thrifting. I've read of using linseed oil or simply frying up a lot of bacon, never beeswax, interesting combo.

Thank you so much - can't wait to try these recipes! Some years ago, I tried eating vegan for about six months. Sadly, it crashed my metabolism and initiated some thyroid problems that have yet to be straightened out. I do much better eating meat, fish, eggs, and ots of fruits and veggies. But I still have to be dairy-free, as do many family members.

All that to say, I agree that we all have to figure out what food (and soap!) works best for our bodies. People are very different from one another, and I can't presume to suggest that everyone should eat like I do. :)
I agree. On the subject of food, eating a few servings of meat weekly cut down most of the pain I was in and it sorted out my anemia to acceptable levels. I can't go dairy free though as milk is helping me manage my size at the moment.

Back on topic, I use most of my soap oils for cooking. I occasionally use my lye for the drains.

I don't think my cast iron pan made the move, it wasn't an heirloom so no huge loss. Thanks for the lye bath tip, I'll have to keep my eye out for one next time I go thrifting. I've read of using linseed oil or simply frying up a lot of bacon, never beeswax, interesting combo.

I got the idea for the beeswax seasoning from several comments I read underneath some videos on Youtube about seasoning cast iron cookware that I watched a few years ago. Unbeknownst to me at the time, there were/are several folks out there that have been seasoning their pans with beeswax for decades, and there are even a couple of cast iron seasoning products on the market, one is called Larbee (made from beeswax and lard) and one is called Crisbee (made from beeswax and vegetable oils), and I saw where several folks posted about how they make their own knock-off versions of Larbee and/or Crisbee for themselves. The reviews for using beeswax or a beeswax/fat mixture were so positive that I figured I'd try making my own version. I've been using it for 2 years now, and it works really well. Nothing sticks to my pans. I just melt down 2 parts lard to 1 part natural beeswax, pour into one of my soap embed column molds that has four 4" deep x 1" wide cavities, unmold when solid, and then store in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back