What next?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Probably going to make some soap today. I have five FOs making eyes at me. I can't make up my mind. Suggestions are welcome!

1) Love Spell - A mix of orange, peach, cherry blossom and white jasmine. For colors, I was thinking a white base with red and pink ITP swirls.
2) Bamboo - Bright and fresh bamboo essence mixed with good for you green tea. For colors - a white base with yellow and green ITP swirls.
3) Coco Lime Verbena - The Zesty lime mixed with a tart lemon verbena and sharp notes of ozone. Fruity notes of melon, muguet, mandarin and Kumquat, with bottom notes of vanilla and light musk. No idea for colors. Ideas welcome.
4) Perfect Man - Perfect Man fragrance begins with fresh, daring notes of Japanese grapefruit, bergamot, and lemon; followed by middle notes of peppercorn, ginger, jasmine, aquatic marine notes, and a hint of peppermint; sitting on expensive base notes of natural patchouli, cedar, vetiver, labdanum, and frankincense. This one discolors to a lavender. Maybe a purple and black ITP swirl?
5) Bite Me - A start of black cherry, orange, strawberry, pineapple, & lime evens out the soft notes of eucalyptus, violet, clove and fresh vanilla bean. I have no idea of colors for this one. Ideas?

If you use Bite Me, I would use a bit less than the maximum usage rate. It is a very strong scent. I love it at max % but my wife thought it was way too strong. It also stays very strong throughout the cure. I have a bar that is about 3 months old and it is still pretty strong scent retention.

I blend Bite me with Love Spell ALL THE TIME!! I also blend Pink Sugar with Bite Me. Both are great combos.
Ive got pink sugar too & added it to the mix. how funny 🤗🤣👍🏼

I blend Bite me with Love Spell ALL THE TIME!! I also blend Pink Sugar with Bite Me. Both are great combos.
I figure w/ fragrance's why not throw caution to the wind. 🤩🤣

I figure w/ fragrance's why not through caution to the wind. 🤩🤣
Almost every fragrance I use is a custom blend of other fragrances I have on hand. I have so many, this helps.
Sometimes when I don't know what to do, I will just close my eyes, pick like 4 random scents and start blending. I've gotten some duds doing it this way, but I also have gotten some fantastic blends that you normally would have never thought would go together (like rose and love spell - sounds weird, smells GREAT - IMO of course)

Probably going to make some soap today. I have five FOs making eyes at me. I can't make up my mind. Suggestions are welcome!

3) Coco Lime Verbena - The Zesty lime mixed with a tart lemon verbena and sharp notes of ozone. Fruity notes of melon, muguet, mandarin and Kumquat, with bottom notes of vanilla and light musk. No idea for colors. Ideas welcome.

From the name, I'm thinking Coconut and Lime but no 'coconut' in the description. What does "ozone" smell like...all I can think of is the shooting range. So...white with a green swirl?

From the name, I'm thinking Coconut and Lime but no 'coconut' in the description. What does "ozone" smell like...all I can think of is the shooting range. So...white with a green swirl?
Not knowing had to google "ozone scent" many descriptions but I'm gonna go w/ fresh' marine' rustic' are a few descriptions i've read. 🤣😀

Ozone has a distinct smell. I have an ozone machine to remove odors (I used to travel with it, but only had to use it maybe 3 times tops in hotels where people had smoked, and have since removed it from the trunk of my car).

Anyway, it's an electrical smell, which is also noticeable after a thunderstorm or if you are near a lightening strike. Arc welders say that ozone smells the same as arc welding smells. I've heard it described as burned out electronics. It's been quite some time since I've smelled burned out electronics and I've never done any arc welding, so I cannot say how close they are, but definitely the post storm smell and lightening strike smell is ozone. Some people say it smells like chlorine, but not everyone agrees on that description.

Laser printers and photocopiers (especially older ones, that don't follow today's work safety rules) are a very well-known ozone source. Slightly metallic, suffocating, but somehow very fresh at the same time. The chlorine (swimming pool) connotation isn't the best IMHO, but descriptive enough; nitrogen dioxide (exhaust gas of cold motors, nitric acid fumes) is closer IMHO. Some other associations: sea air, petrichor, and as @earlene mentioned anything high voltage (lightning, transformers, electrical sparks).

Almost every fragrance I use is a custom blend of other fragrances I have on hand.
The diplomatic circumscription for “your FO rig has collapsed”? 😂

I simply had to peek and here are some pictures of the slab:

IMG_3936.JPGIMG_3937.JPGIMG_3938.JPG

It's been 14 hours and the slab is still very hot and very soft. I figure we'll cut it tomorrow sometime.

Latest posts

Back