What natural, easy to find additives have you experimented with?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue1969

Reaction score
I have been having a lot of fun adding different things to my soaps and was wondering who else has done some experimenting?
I know some of the additions are common to the old soapers, but it is interesting to see the way the same recipe reacts and how the soap ends up?
Did some egg and pine tar in the week. Will be doing Aloe tomorrow with Aloe Gel I harvested today.
Where to go next?
Any suggestions?

How fun! Have you tried any milks yet? I love adding goat milk powder, but fresh goat milk is very popular, too, as is coconut milk and coconut cream. Stay away from butter, however, as it makes for super stinky soap!

I went through a fruit and veg phase - apple puree, mashed banana, carrot puree, passionfruit, feijoa, pumpkin....
They were all ok - except for the banana one. I didn't like that one. None of them were fabulous enough to bear repeating.
I use aloe in every batch as standard ( unless I'm making a beer, oat milk or coconut milk soap).

How fun! Have you tried any milks yet? I love adding goat milk powder, but fresh goat milk is very popular, too, as is coconut milk and coconut cream. Stay away from butter, however, as it makes for super stinky soap!
As soon as I can get hold of them, they are going in! Wonder of one of the farmers around here milk their goats?

I went through a fruit and veg phase - apple puree, mashed banana, carrot puree, passionfruit, feijoa, pumpkin....
They were all ok - except for the banana one. I didn't like that one. None of them were fabulous enough to bear repeating.
I use aloe in every batch as standard ( unless I'm making a beer, oat milk or coconut milk soap).
Ah! I forgot about beer! Thx, immediately going on list. Do you boil the beer before to get rid of alcohol?

Fruit and vegetables are so expensive here now, it's a huge waste to put them in soap. A cucumber is about $4, or $4.50. ONE apple is about 90c - $1.50. Crazy. A combination of inclement weather and supply chain issues have really pushed prices up.
@Blue1969 (three years younger than me :) ) yes, just simmer the beer down until the alkeehole is gone then freeze it into ice cubes. Be very wary when adding the lye to your beer as it can overheat and volcano. That's why it's best to ice ice cubes to keep it cool. Make sure you use a much bigger container than you need for mixing the solution in case it does rise up - then you won't get a spill. Best to mix it in the sink.

Thx Kiwi. The beer is on tomorrow's menu. Just a small 250gr oil batch.
Luckily/unluckily I live in a small farm community where fresh fruit and veg are always available at very reasonable prices - or in the neighbour's backyard. Unfortunately it also implies difficult access to some finer ingredients like sodium lactate etc.

I like carrot purée a lot, it adds just enough texture to make the bar not super slippery without being in any way abrasive. My 5 year old neighbor and 70 year old aunt also loved it.

I haven’t done it yet, but soon I wanted to experiment a bit with peels (orange, cucumber, bell pepper), also puréed or flakes.

I also read good things about rice water.

These experiments are sooo much fun. Thx. Will add carrot to the list. Do you cook the carrot first?
Yeah, I boiled the carrot, used half the water weight in carrot, the other half in carrot cooking water (I used distilled water). I blended the carrot as fine as possible, using a little of the cooking water. I added the lye pearls directly to the mix of carrot water and carrot purée. It smelled questionable at first, but then with time it took on a soft “vegetable” scent which was quite pleasant, especially for sensitive noses. The color turned out marginally darker than normal soap color, but nothing super exciting.

Ok, I have now tried Windhoek Lager, Pine Tar, Egg, Aloe, Jaggermeister and Castle Milk Stout - waiting for all of these to cure so I can start testing them. There are so many complaints about the smells coming out of the "soap room" that I guess I have to calm down a bit with the smelly experimentation.
Maybe I should surprise the household and make a Lavender batch? :)

I love carrot soap! I shred baby carrots, blanching them in boiling water for a few minutes, puree in blender and strain into my water container. I chill that strained blend to almost slushy consistency and then add the lye. I also maintain a jar of annatto seed infused OO....perfect carrot color soap! Stays orange for 2 years plus.

My cucumber puree (water portion) soap has been my most requested soap, as has my avacado (water and fat). Both stay fairly green without colorants for a few months, then fade to tan. These i color with spirulina infused OO, green clay and TD if I do a swirl.

I am wondering if anyone has used raspberry powder infused OO and if the color stays true? I have a bunch of leftover strained raspberry puree from a dessert that I just made and wonder if I can use it in soap. As another poster said here, i don't want any more tan soap. Lol.

I love carrot soap! I shred baby carrots, blanching them in boiling water for a few minutes, puree in blender and strain into my water container. I chill that strained blend to almost slushy consistency and then add the lye. I also maintain a jar of annatto seed infused OO....perfect carrot color soap! Stays orange for 2 years plus.

My cucumber puree (water portion) soap has been my most requested soap, as has my avacado (water and fat). Both stay fairly green without colorants for a few months, then fade to tan. These i color with spirulina infused OO, green clay and TD if I do a swirl.

I am wondering if anyone has used raspberry powder infused OO and if the color stays true? I have a bunch of leftover strained raspberry puree from a dessert that I just made and wonder if I can use it in soap. As another poster said here, i don't want any more tan soap. Lol.
Sorry, the raspberry puree will turn tan. You can try infused himalyan rhubarb root for a raspberry-type of color.

Back