what % lye discount do you use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilsonFamilyPicnic

Reaction score
I see that soap calc takes a 5% lye discount as default and I've been reading about others taking higher % discount...and some have said 10% is too high. Is 5% a good discount? Is 7 or 8 okay or is that starting to get into the scary range? :shock:

Hello -

I am a new soaper - VERY addicted - and also building a f/t business... so I love all of the info I can absorb -- I have been setting my lye discount at 6% - and feel safe with this for my luxury butters and oils - as I understand this is also the "supper fat" discount. I have not tried a higher amount - but know some others do! :) roro

Some folks use up to 20% when they are using 100% CO as well. I think that what discount you use falls under the trial and error section of CP soaping as well as a ton of other stuff. LOL

I don't know alot about this, but in the Soapmaker's Companion she has 10% discount beside her recipes. Is that the same thing?

I take a 13% with my 100% Coconut oil soap. But in "normal" recipes it is 4-7%. The high percentage discount, the higher amount of oil unsapped which could lead to a softer soap or longer cure time, or a perfect soap! It all depends on the amounts of different oils used.

I now take 5%, find it makes the bars harder faster. I used to do 7%, which means that there are unsaponified oils in the bar. These soaps rotted too soon for my taste. I like to make soap 6 months ahead of a big show, making sure it's good and hard. OR: if you put your soap in a slow-sales store, you don't want it to go bad too soon.

Yes! If you don't do enough lye, you have the dreaded spoiling problem. :(

I'm mentally stuck on 7% since I use so much shea I feel like anything less than 7% with be too hard on it and damage the qualities. Not that it will! It was just one of those things I read browsing the web and I got it stuck in my head... But I also make sure I don't use oils with short shelf lives...like sunflower. I LOVE sunflower oil but it is prone to spoilage in about 6 to 9 months.

Back