What kind of swirl is this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navaria

Reaction score
I saw this amazing soap while killing time on Etsy today. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this was done! How is the whole outside swirled and most of the middle is white? What technique is this?

swirl.jpg

I've done that a few times when I'm impatient to pour. I had a bottom layer of itp swirled batter that was high lard and only emulsfied, so it wasn't even thick after waiting an hour for it to set up enough to support a solid colored layer on top. When pouring the solid color, the force pushed the colored batter to the sides and top while essentially filling the center with the solid. It's possible they had a mica line in there too before they poured. Pouring through a heavy mica line can have a cool effect!

I do wonder if the pour in your pic had a little more to it however, because the top center of their soap is mounded so much higher than the edges. And I love the colors!!

I'm wondering why would happen if I repeat my soap.... emulsfified swirl layer on bottom, with a second but very unmixed itp swirl poured on top. Hmmm...

It looks like part of it may be due to bleeding pigments. Maybe? And maybe a single swipe with a horizontal hanger swirl? I love trying to figure out how theses soapy masterpieces are made!

It looks like part of it may be due to bleeding pigments. Maybe? And maybe a single swipe with a horizontal hanger swirl? I love trying to figure out how theses soapy masterpieces are made!

I wondered that too. Wish we could get a good look at the bars face on. I don't think that's a hanger swirl though, I think that's all pour because it's so graceful.

Did I mention how much I love those colors? Wish I knew what they were.

I am sure it is either a hanger or a single pass with a thin skewer, and a bleeding pigment to get the halo of color.

BF asked if using a very thin wire (instead of a hanger) might give that look. He may be on to something

Since those sides seems so defined, I wonder if she used a melt and pour and poured a thin slab, cut it and lined the sides of the mold, and then poured a base color in the center and did a hanger swirl with the added colors. And the top was all the center colors.

Back