what kind of palm oil is this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is red palm oil, which is weird orange color and I do not like it in kitchen or soap.
There is regular palm oil which is white, well kind of yellowish not completely white..

why do you not like it in soap?
can it be used the same as the off white palm oil ?
what are the cons?
where can you buy palm oil besides online stores?

red palm oil will make your soap bright orange, the lather will be orange too. It can be used in place or regular palm though, it soaps just the same. Are you in the US? You can find spectrum shortening at target or wholefoods, its 100% palm.
You could also replace the palm with lard, lard makes a better soap then palm in my opinion. Just make sure you run your recipe through a lye calculator if you replace anything.

yes you can substitute with lard or tallow, it will give you a nice soap :)) Some people used red palm oil, probably is workable as long as you do not mind the orange color :)) Good luck with the soap:)

Ive used 10% red palm in a recipe that also had 10% regular palm, for 20% total palm oil and it worked out well - check your other thread :)

Would this lard work? I saw it @ walmart. It does have extra ingredients. ..?

20150814_203542.jpg

20150814_203526.jpg

Yes, that is the lard you need. The ingredients are preservatives and anti oxidants and won't make a difference at all. It is the same lard I have used for all my lard soaps. Make sure you run your recipie thru a lye calculator like soapcalc or soapee.

I've used red palm oil in cooking and soap. It's orange because of the high amounts of vit. A
(Beta carotene). My soap's performancestors was no different with red palm compared to regular palm. I also used it to make a beautiful yellow colors that did not bleed. (For color purposes, I added red palm as a colorant, not a soap oil, and considered it a superfat. A little goes a long way in making a nice yellow)

Back