What kind of oil that you use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymy

Reaction score
Hi guys!

These kind of oil brands are easily available in the grocery stores. Have you guys used these or you purchased higher grade or 'cosmetic' grade oil for soapmaking?

1446533649648.jpg

1446533724353.jpg

1446533735408.jpg

Once it's food grade oil you're in good hands . different brands appear in different parts of the country. where I'm at I do not find those brands , but the supermarket is where i get my OO and CO if i'm in a pinch.

Lion, I'm quite surprised when I saw soapers use solid PO for thier soaps.

Nothing wrong with those oils at all. My personal preference is not to use canola, because it doesn't contribute anything to the bar besides some mild conditioning. I use lard, which I buy at the grocery store and I use olive, which I buy at Costco.

Cosmetic Grade Oil is what you do not want. It is usually a mix of oils with similar fatty acid profiles. I love lard too, but have some dos problems with it and never have dos problems with canola, which I do use quite often. Not sure why I am one of few with dos and lard but I seem to be. Did a test last year with different brands of lard and all the ones I tried ended up with dos. The tallow samples did not and neither does palm. I have a bar with 30% canola 30% olive, coconut, palm, castor that is a couple of years old, no dos. Check out the Canolive recipes on millersoaps.com

The oils I use most in soap are coconut, palm, Castor, Olive, rice bran and shea butter. When new to soaping, it is wise not to buy a large volume of any oil. Experiment for several months to find out the combination you like. Then you can order in volume from suppliers online.

I can get OO cold pressed from the supermarket cheaper (even when it's not on sale) than the soap suppliers. But avacado oil is about 1/4 the price from the soap supplier for a 1 litre bottle and even cheaper for bigger quantities.

Prices also vary hugely between suppliers. Some are half the price of others. It really pays to shop around, in Australia anyway.

The big difference between prices is whether or not an oil is cold pressed. Many oils are chemically extracted. If you are looking for pure best quality oil you might want to compare the prices of the different types.

Last edited:
Dixie- I'm afraid if nobody uses such oils that I posted to make soaps. I've been lingering on oil section for quite a while and these oils really affordable.

Cmzaha- good info regarding the cosmetic grade oil. I have few soaps that have dos on them and yes, they have mixed of canola and sunflower inside.

Isg- Yes you are right. At first I felt like to stock up every oil that I saw. After I made my first batch of soap I learn to stay a lil bit low. I need to run more experiments.

Jane- same here. Certain oils are cheaper to get from supplier and some are not. OO pomace(there are sayings that pomace is prone to cause dos) is the cheapest that I could get from the store. EVOO is slightly expensive. Ricebran and other luxurious oils are quite hard to get around here.

Last edited:
Nevada - Good share! Thank you. Will pay more attention to the nutritional facts on my next visit.

Jane- to be honest, out of 10 stores that i visited, only 1 store had 1 bottle of 500ml ricebran oil for sale. So hard to get good oils around here.

I primarily use OO, Palm, PKO, CO, Shea, Cocoa Butter, Castor. I do have a couple with lard too. I don't purchase from the grocery store unless in a pinch. I have a local restaurant oil supplier that carries some soaping oils/butters too. So, I can get my Castor and CO locally. The rest I get from Soaper's Choice.

Jane - Yes, if I ever find rare oils on the counter I will surely grab them for good! Currently I'm finishing my OO Pomace and will use EVOO.

Shunt- Palm oil is super cheap right here and they are easily available at all time. I'm trying to reduce to 3 types of oil in a recipe. Sometimes, I visit local bakery store for butters. :) . Do they charge too high if we buy lots of oil online? Assuming more than 10kg of package.

It's so annoying isn't it? I have to go to the supermarket and two soap making suppliers to get what I need to make fairly basic soap at the best prices.

The fun of not having big chain stores that carry the things we need. Have you tried essentials of Australia for CO? they have the cheapest t at I have found so far

The fun of not having big chain stores that carry the things we need. Have you tried essentials of Australia for CO? they have the cheapest t at I have found so far

dillsandwitch

They are cheap for CO and a lot of other oils! Thank you.

Compare New Directions in Australia for some of the other oils (eg avocado and camellia oil) that they have a bit cheaper than Escentials but Escentials looks great. Thank you.

Last edited:
Back