What kind of oil that you use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use food grade oils for soap. Cosmetic grade for lotions and such.

Rosyrobin - first, may i know where are you from? Because I'm guessing it's kinda hard to get PO if you're from the west. I buy them from the local grocery stores. Various of brands and quality to be chosen. I would like to try soaping using red palm oil as it's better than bleached palm oil.

Lee242 - I have no experience of buying oils(big amount) online except for essential oils. They came in a small container.

Seven - good to know. So I'm not the only one using them. :)

mymy - I'm from Vancouver, BC. I haven't seen palm oil in any of the grocery stores that I shop at - unless it's kept somewhere different than the baking/oils isle. I do head across the border quite often though so if there's a particular store chain that carries it, I could check there.

rosyrobyn.
Walmart GV shortening is mostly palm oil so when you come down south you can pick some of it up. They are a good source for lard too.

Watching this thread has been an education for me. There are soapers all over the world on this forum!

edit:
GV shortening is moslty palm tallow not oil. My error.

Last edited:
rosyrobyn : I'm from Asia and it's very easy to get Palm Oil around here but hard to find animal fats. I would like to try making soap using animal fats if I have them.

Lard is easily found at groceries stores here. Weird that palm oil is so hard to find... My next trip across the border I'll be looking for palm.

I buy my OO from my local grocery store and my lard from a manufacturer of fats. I do have to buy the lard by the 45 gallon drum though. Everything else I buy from a local soap supply store.

Last edited:
rosyrobyn, we are living in a parallel universe :p goodluck on your trip. most PO over there are in liquid form?

golden_seal, i wish i know where do people get animals fats around here. I have zero knowledge to render animal fats by myself, I'd make them by myself if I have the expertise. Plus, vegetable shortening is rare too.

Rendering fat is really easy. Basically cut up the fat and put it on the stove until the fats melt out and then you're left with little meat pieces floating around in melted fat. When we had our own pigs my husband loved the meat that was left over to put on his food and jam toast.

It's not worth it for me to do it myself these days because I only pay 75 cents a pound for my lard. I also don't have my own pigs anymore.

now you make me want to try! haha. been reading that lots of soapers enjoy their lard soap. grrrr the temptation is too high now.

Latest posts

Back