What kind of lotion to create?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggiemarieoc

Reaction score
Hi I'm in the process of making a batch of soap and a clay mask using things like kaolin clay and activated charcoal which are both good for detoxing the skin and all that good stuff. Now I'd like to make a lotion/body butter to go with them. What type of ingredients should I add? What kind of lotion would u use after a good skin detox?

If you haven't already, take a gander around swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com. Susan's info on formulating lotions is wonderful, and she gives good ideas on oils and butters and any other additives.

Last edited:
My personal choice would be something lightly scented with lavender EO or lemongrass EO. And I'd use avocado oil. Maybe a lotion with aloe vera juice instead of water?

My personal choice would be something lightly scented with lavender EO or lemongrass EO. And I'd use avocado oil. Maybe a lotion with aloe vera juice instead of water?
it depens what kind of skin one has. Some people do not take avocado so well, I love it on the body, and hands, but face:evil:

I will definitely check out that website. I have never personally had the spa experience of an actually skin detox and these are new materials for me so I didn't know if u would want a heavy super moisturizing lotion, or a light lotion, or maybe something special?

I think that if you can afford it, go have the spa experience. It would actually be valuable research. It would help you understand things from your customers point of view and give you a solid jumping off point for what kind of experience you are actually trying to recreate.

I like shea butter and cocoa butter on my skin so I have used both in my formulations. today I made some cream with 52% water (I meant to use 50%) and so far so good. I should let it set for a few more hours but, I'm impatient.

Back