What I've been up to... Image Heavy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrja

Reaction score
I've been super busy moving for the past few months, trying to get settled in and I've been sneakily making soaps in between cleaning and organizing.

There's nothing fancy to see here, just some basics and experiments. Naturally I still love them because they are my soap babies.

HoneyLavenderandPatchouli.jpg

The first his a Honey bar, I scented it with lavender, honey and Jasmine EO's. There are lavender buds on top, I hope they don't brown and look like poo, but if they do I'll just keep them for personal use and not give them out as gifts.

Honeygoatsmilkblackpeppersageandtomatoleaf.jpg

This one is goats milk and honey. I make these bars for my mom because she requests them. When I started making soap she was antsy about it, as she has this fear of lye and heard all manner of horror stories as a kid. I made here these bars and she was immediately smitten. Her hands no longer crack open in the winter when she uses these. They are scented with BB's Tomato leaf fragrance (which is fantastic, very herbal and light) a touch of black pepper EO, and clarry sage EO.

EucalyptusParsleyCedarwoodLavenderMintLoaf.jpg

This was my latest experiment. I soaked powdered parsley in lye water in an attempt to get a green color. Instead I ended up with a very pretty soft yellow, I'm not complaining but, it's back to the drawing board with this one. The flakes are parsley flakes. It is scented with Cedarwood EO, Lavender EO, Eucalyptus EO, and Peppermint. It's too soft to cut yet, so I'm going to forget it exists for a week or so, otherwise I'll get overzealous and cut early. It does make me smile though, the scent reminds me of a spa I used to frequent in Germany. Super relaxing to me.

Dragonsbloodandsnickerdoodlecakes.jpg

The round bars are the goats milk and dragonsblood bars I make for my husband. They overheated again! The center for some reason came out lighter, but it doesn't zap at all. It's merely an ugly bar, but he doesn't mind it. I think I'm going to have to find a different dragonsblood supplier, this has happened twice with this particular FO.

The chocolate cake looking ones are leftover soap "icing" I had from when I iced my halloween cupcakes for the exchange. The FO, Brambleberry's Snickerdoodle discolors soap to a dark brown, but it really really smells wonderful.

CoconutMilkCocoaPowderandAlmond.jpg

This one was another experiment. Coconut milk and egg yolk, scented with almond pastries from Peak, and colored with cocoa powder. It smelled awful the first few weeks from the egg yolk and milk, but it lathers beautifully, smells great and is really really conditioning now. I think I used a little too much cocoa powder though as it stains my soap dish a little.

BeerPeachesandGrits.jpg

Last but certainly not least is my husbands soap. I played video games with him one day, and he soaped with me. It was a hobby exchange. This was his very first soap and he is extremely proud of it.

It's made with Guinness beer. Scented with peaches and ginger from Peak, and the exfoliant is grits. His reasoning? As a good Georgia boy he had to create something from three things he loved. Beer, Peaches and Grits.

I have this bar in the shower right now and it's really nice. It suds up beautifully, and the grits actually massage you as you use it.

They look great! I love the texture of the coconut milk/egg yolk one - it reminds me of a spider web (in a good way).

I think the Honey bar looks fancy. The goat milk and honey sounds wonderful.

Chris has every right to be proud of his soap. Please tell him it is fantastic! The lather is incredible - it's dense and silky and left my skin so soft. I had it in my head that grits would be really scratchy but they're very gentle. I love the peach scent. The only criticism is I wish the scent had stayed on my skin. It really is a yummy scent.

Thanks everyone!

I had my doubts about the Coconut one, because it took so long for the stink to go down on it from the eggs, and milk. Usually my other milk soaps don't stink as long as this one did. It did work out in the end though. This one went a little ashy on top, but I found I liked the way the ash looked. It reminded me of chocolate that has started to bloom. When I poured it, it really really looked like fudge.

Hazel, the husband is now strutting a preening all proud of his soap. The peach scent was Peach and Ginger from Peak Candles. I think next time we'll have to use more of the FO, because I agree the scent is yummy but doesn't stay well after. The grits are fantastic though. It's like a hundred little fingers giving you a massage when you use it.

They are are wonderful! Bonus.. you helped me identify your scent from the exchange :lol: I've been sniffing it and sniffing it, but just couldn't figure it out. Tell your hubby great job on the soap. I love the celtic molds.

Gorgeous photos of gorgeous soaps! I'm not sure which one is my favourite ... I love the moulds you used for your hubby's soap ... and I love dragons blood, I'm a great fan of dark soap ... the darker the better.

Thanks everyone for the compliments! :-D

LOL Kharmon! I do love the scent, it's Buttercream and Snickerdoodle. I will be ordering the FO again.

The Grits held up surprisingly well Bubbly Buddha. They actually soften in the shower from the hot water, so they're not overly gritty. Still hard, but not scratchy.

The celtic molds are also from BB. I had bought them a few years ago, forgot I had them and then re-found them when I moved. It was like Christmas all over again!

http://www.brambleberry.com/Celtic-Rectangle-Heavy-Duty-P4420.aspx

http://www.brambleberry.com/Celtic-Square-Heavy-Duty-P4418.aspx

So pretty! I love the coconut milk textury one near the bottom!

Aren't soap babies the best kind of babies to have?!!!....lol: they don't cry at night, nor wake you up too early....just sit there waiting until you are good and ready to play with them.

They all look great! Love your display too.

These are great. I really dig the stories behind your soap. Sounds like you use alot of eos, that's cool

I'm gonna have to say I love the chocolate cake looking ones... because I know what they smell and feel like already. :shock: heaven!!!

Back