What is your favorite mint EO blend?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also LOVE Spearmint, Lemon, and just a hint of Tea Tree. The lemon tends to fade a lot quicker (top note) but if you can add a little more EO than you normally do then this mixture is golden!!

@lucycat You should be safe at 1% for anise, but that wouldn't be true for spearmint. Here is what eocalc.com says about anise and spearmint. Green is safe, red is unsafe.

These were calculated as single-oil additions to CP soap, so keep in mind that the skin-safe percentage is likely to change up or down, based on the other EOs in the blend. HTH!
Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 12.13.49 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 12.14.28 PM.png

What proportion do you use? I like anise but like it best when it isn't so strong that customers instantly recognize it.
I use 1 part peppermint to 2 parts anise. The peppermint is so strong if I use too much it overpowers the anise.

Btw ... I hate anise by itself. I made a loaf once for a holiday show. Couldn't stand the soap curing in my house! Made a box to cure it in the garage and then my garage and car smelled like anise! It sold out though, my customers liked it. I had the bottle of anise EO sitting in my cupboard and I finally got brave enough to try it in the blend with peppermint. I like the blend and allow the soap to cure in my house!

IFRA rules on mints just seem crazy to me. For years I soaped spearmint at 3%. I always blended it with peppermint so that I reduced the "tingle" peppermint causes. I considered peppermint the one to use lightly since the tingle can be painful to many. Never an issue with spearmint. I always liked the sweetness it added to rosemary as well as cedar. Today, so small it is not really noticeable. I still have 2 oz of spearmint and have been questioning reordering because of how long it will take to use it up at the current rates.

Latest posts

Back