What is your best/easiest soapmaking recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperi27

Reaction score
What is your best recipe? What is the one soap recipe that you can do with your eyes shut! LOL Silly question I know but I was thinking about it as I thumbed through my recipe books. The only one I can make without looking at the ingredients is Goat's Milk oatmeal and honey rebatch because its for sensitive skin all I add is honey, and ground oatmeal. NO scents NO dyes! What about you?

The "Bunny" Castile Soap..

90% Olive
10% Castor Oil

discount heavily..

ready in hours..

A new recipe hitting the "forums" is soooo easy;

100% coconut with a 20% lye discount (superfat) and a 33% lye solution!

You gotta try this recipe. I use coconut milk mixed with goat milk as my liquids. Mummm, mummmm, good! 8)

Paul.... :wink:

"Bunny" is a famous soapmaker that lives in N. Florida. She is the one that came up with that recipe and has been around for several years now! It's "Bunny's Castile Soap." Bunny is her screen name she uses at several forums. :)
It's a great Castile recipe! :wink:
The new recipe I'm referring to is an adaptation of the "Break The Rules" soap recipe. I've got it curing now.

OOOh that sounds awesome! One day I hope to learn cp, probably when the children leave in about 15 years lol

I use to make my castile soaps with 90% oo and 10% castor but now I make them with 90% oo, 5% castor and 5% babassu. The babassu really helps create a fluffier lather and cuts down on the "slimey" feel of the oo that some don't like. This recipe is easy peasy and makes a wonderful soap.

When I get time, I want to try that high content coconut oil soap. I'm curious to hear how yours turns out Paul.

cp that is so true. Even when I rebatch castille and add castor oil, it gets a little slimmy! Did I spell that right? lol

Soapmaker Man said:

You gotta try this recipe. I use coconut milk mixed with goat milk as my liquids. Mummm, mummmm, good! 8)

In the Susan Miller Cavitch books she says that "too much" coconut oil makes a bar that is "harsh" to the skin. But I've seen some bars that are 100% coconut oil..........have you found this to be true? Or do you find it a nice mild soap on the skin?

Also, I know what a 20% lye discount means, but I don't understand a "33% lye solution" could you explain?

Thanks!

orangeblossom said:
Soapmaker Man said:

In the Susan Miller Cavitch books she says that "too much" coconut oil makes a bar that is "harsh" to the skin. But I've seen some bars that are 100% coconut oil..........have you found this to be true? Or do you find it a nice mild soap on the skin?

Also, I know what a 20% lye discount means, but I don't understand a "33% lye solution" could you explain?

Thanks!

Coconut is drying to the skin if you don't discount your lye needed to 100% saponify the CO. Most people take a 5% lye discount, meaning using 5% LESS lye than it takes to 100% saponify the oils, leaving 5% oils let in the soap after saponification has taken place. A lye discount is sometimes called "superfatting" your soap. I feel "superfatting" mainly referrs, in my opinion, to adding additional oil/s to your soap at trace, after some sapionification has taken place, and not all the superfatting oil is consumed by the remaining active lye in the batter. Taking a 20% lye discount means using 20% less lye than it takes to completely saponify the 100% coconut oil recipe, leaving more unsaponified coconut oil in the finished soap. Coconut Oil, by itself is not drying to the skin, IE FCO, but adding lye to the cocoanut oil, that is over 30% of a given recipe, without upping the lye discount, or "supperfatting," can be drying. I hope this makes some sense to you.

A 33% lye solution is by weight 2 parts water to 1 part lye. That is a 33% lye solution.

I think I understand. Yes, it does make sense. (I'm not a computer linguist quite yet.........what is IE FCO?)

I was looking for a really white bar so make snowflake soap......I assume a 100% coconut oil soap would make a pretty white bar!

Thanks! (you are so knowledgeable!)

orangeblossom said:
I think I understand. Yes, it does make sense. (I'm not a computer linguist quite yet.........what is IE FCO?)

I was looking for a really white bar so make snowflake soap......I assume a 100% coconut oil soap would make a pretty white bar!

I.E. (etc referring to) FCO
Fract Coconut Oil.

smellitlikeitis said:
orangeblossom said:

I.E. (etc referring to) FCO
Fract Coconut Oil.

Yea, what S. said! :lol:
Note: Quit using acronyms, Paul. :roll:

dantango said:
Speaking of acronyms, what are 'TD' and 'GM?' Those terms were used in another post re: making soap white.

"TD" is Titanium Dioxide. It is a completely safe, most popular, whitening agent. It is even used in candy!

"GM" is Goat Milk. I use farm fresh Goat Milk.

Okay, one more question. So do I figure out how much lye, by doing a 20% discount.......let's say for one pound of coconut oil I use 2.346 oz. of lye (according to soapcalc) so then do I use 4.692 oz of water to make a 33% solution?

orangeblossom said:
Okay, one more question. So do I figure out how much lye, by doing a 20% discount.......let's say for one pound of coconut oil I use 2.346 oz. of lye (according to soapcalc) so then do I use 4.692 oz of water to make a 33% solution?

• Here is the recipe using Soap Calc. for 100% Coconut Soap using a 33% lye solution and taking a 20% lye discount. You would use exactly;

Coconut oil---------------- 16 ounces
    Lye-------------------------- 2.346 ounces
    Water----------------------- 4.762

I just ran the recipe using 1 pound of coconut oil, 20% lye discount, and a 33% lye solution, and came up with these exact amounts for a 1 pound recipe. Hope this helps! It is the most bubbly, lathering soap I have used and not drying even to the face!

Paul... :wink:

Soapmaker Man said:
dantango said:
Speaking of acronyms, what are 'TD' and 'GM?' Those terms were used in another post re: making soap white.

"TD" is Titanium Dioxide. It is a completely safe, most popular, whitening agent. It is even used in candy!

"GM" is Goat Milk. I use farm fresh Goat Milk.

You lucky soaper you!! I have a friend that raises goats so I can usually get it from her fresh from the goat herself that same day. But this past year, she had decided to sell off all her goats and focus on her alpacas so she didn't let them breed. No baby goats, no delicious fresh goats milk. :cry: Darn it. But I'm in like flynn next spring since she realized it would be a major PITB to change her farm classification and decided she did not want to hassle with it. So for the time being, it is the "fresh" from the grocers cooler gm for me. Still can't beat a gm soap no matter where you get the gm but fresh sure makes an even bigger difference. :wink:

I agree! The farmer I buy mine from, sells me the 3 to 4 day old stock for cheap! It is as good as day 1, but he discounts it for me! My good luck! Sometimes, he even trades me soap for a half gallon of GM. WalMart sells the "fresh" Meyenberg GM in the cooler here, but, your right, it is not as good to drink, OR, make soap with as farm raised goats! :D

Back