What is Yoni soap? What makes a soap safe for the vagina ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starfire

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. I was hoping that maybe someone here can enlighten me. What the heck makes a vaginal soap safe for the outer area of the vagina? I saw this really popular soap page on instagram that sells “Yoni Soap” and there are all these reviews about it helping women with their cramps and yeast infections. Can a soap actually achieve that? I was majorly skeptical because the soaps were colored clearly unnaturally and I wouldnt use a vaginal soap that wasnt a neutral color.

Even brands like Honeypot and Vagisil that have feminine vaginal soaps, what makes them that way? Maybe they are not lye based but that is the only soap Ive ever made. I have been selling to my close friends and family and they always ask me if my soap will throw off their PH. Im like, I dont think so! But I use mica and TD and fragrance oils and vanilla stabilizers and other synthetic ingredients sometimes. Are these safe for the vagina? Thank you so much in advance for any input at all and I hope I posted this on the correct board.

Good afternoon everyone. I was hoping that maybe someone here can enlighten me. What the heck makes a vaginal soap safe for the outer area of the vagina? I saw this really popular soap page on instagram that sells “Yoni Soap” and there are all these reviews about it helping women with their cramps and yeast infections. Can a soap actually achieve that? I was majorly skeptical because the soaps were colored clearly unnaturally and I wouldnt use a vaginal soap that wasnt a neutral color.

Even brands like Honeypot and Vagisil that have feminine vaginal soaps, what makes them that way? Maybe they are not lye based but that is the only soap Ive ever made. I have been selling to my close friends and family and they always ask me if my soap will throw off their PH. Im like, I dont think so! But I use mica and TD and fragrance oils and vanilla stabilizers and other synthetic ingredients sometimes. Are these safe for the vagina? Thank you so much in advance for any input at all and I hope I posted this on the correct board.
I’m just as skeptical as you are.

Honeypot and Vagisil use surfactants that are much more gentle than any lye-based soap. If you must use a soap down there, consider unscented ones of at least those two brands. Be careful with Honeypot though. They actually use some EOs in most of their products, which even I admit, were helpful when I tried them. Other than that, Yoni looks like handmade lye soap, which I personally would not use near my lady bits unless it was color and fragrance free and even then, little to no coconut oil should be used in that formula.

Edit- as an aside, should we have a warning for the menfolk here? 😄

@Arimara I don't really understand the warning against soap though. I use vagisil and salt bars, honestly I can't tell any differance.
No irritation or other unpleasantness.
Honeypot's whole thing is the use of EOs, one of which is peppermint I think. Depending on how sensitive you are, that wash can either burn the dickens outta you or be pleasantly tingly.

Soap in general is alkaline while our vaginas are acidic environments. My warning was taking into consideration that some of us are more prone to UTIs than others and since our urethra is within proximity and many feminine products have dyes and scents, it was only a precaution. Otherwise, do you as long as no strong, weird smells and/or appear.

Last edited:
A feminine wash needs to be gentle and PH balanced. The yoni feminine bar looks like mp but there are no ingredients that I could find so no way to know if its detergent based or a lye soap.

As far as the claims, its BS. Soap cleans, it not going to treat any medical conditions or tighten anything.
Laughed at"tighten anything" 🤣😂😆🤣

A quick search suggests that "Yoni" Soap is simply a euphemism for vagina as there appears to be several different companies selling it.

Here are some copy/paste ingredients:

Coconut Oil, Herbal Infused Olive Oil, Palm Oil, Raw Shea Butter, Organic Yogurt, Castor Oil, and Apple Cider Vinegar.

Jojoba oil, Retinols, Glycerine, Vitamin-a, Shea butter, Alcohol, Rosehip oil.

glycerin, shea butter, pure essential oils, and natural mica powders.

essential oil, olive oil, coconut oil, acv, shea butter, rose clay

WINNER-WINNER CHICKEN-DINNER: Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Shea Butter, Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Apple Cider Vinegar, Rosemary Essential Oil, Basil Essence Oil, Rose Absolute, Dried Rose Petals. At least it's soap, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to rub dried rose petals on my nether regions.

glycerin, shea and mango butter, olive oil, sunflower oil, lemongrass, sweet almond oil, moringa oil, neem oil, honey, rosemary extract, lavender, lemon E.O, Turmeric E.O, vitamin E, eucalyptus leaves, activated charcoal, beetroot powder, natural mica powders.

infused with herbal olive oil blend, tea tree, and oregano oil.

GYN once told me that a gentle soap and water is all you need. Change you pad or tampon frequently. And if you feel to cleanse after your period...warm distilled water. Wear panties with a cotton crotch. Don't wear tight panties or pants. Let it get a little air and sunshine.

I’m just as skeptical as you are.
I’m saying! 😅
Honeypot's whole thing is the use of EOs, one of which is peppermint I think. Depending on how sensitive you are, that wash can either burn the dickens outta you or be pleasantly tingly.

Soap in general is alkaline while our vaginas are acidic environments. My warning was taking into consideration that some of us are more prone to UTIs than others and since our urethra is within proximity and many feminine products have dyes and scents, it was only a precaution. Otherwise, do you as long as no strong, weird smells and/or appear.
this makes a lot of sense. I am going to look up more information on surfactants. Thank you for your input! I want to try making a vaginal soap, I guess I’ll go for a heavy olive oil formula, since I don’t use palm oil.
Laughed at"tighten anything" 🤣😂😆🤣
So many of these Instagram brands are claiming to be able to do this! And make it “wetter” or strengthen libido all types of crazy mess lol.

A quick search suggests that "Yoni" Soap is simply a euphemism for vagina as there appears to be several different companies selling it.

Here are some copy/paste ingredients:

Coconut Oil, Herbal Infused Olive Oil, Palm Oil, Raw Shea Butter, Organic Yogurt, Castor Oil, and Apple Cider Vinegar.

Jojoba oil, Retinols, Glycerine, Vitamin-a, Shea butter, Alcohol, Rosehip oil.

glycerin, shea butter, pure essential oils, and natural mica powders.

essential oil, olive oil, coconut oil, acv, shea butter, rose clay

WINNER-WINNER CHICKEN-DINNER: Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Shea Butter, Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Apple Cider Vinegar, Rosemary Essential Oil, Basil Essence Oil, Rose Absolute, Dried Rose Petals. At least it's soap, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to rub dried rose petals on my nether regions.

glycerin, shea and mango butter, olive oil, sunflower oil, lemongrass, sweet almond oil, moringa oil, neem oil, honey, rosemary extract, lavender, lemon E.O, Turmeric E.O, vitamin E, eucalyptus leaves, activated charcoal, beetroot powder, natural mica powders.

infused with herbal olive oil blend, tea tree, and oregano oil.

GYN once told me that a gentle soap and water is all you need. Change you pad or tampon frequently. And if you feel to cleanse after your period...warm distilled water. Wear panties with a cotton crotch. Don't wear tight panties or pants. Let it get a little air and sunshine.
My GYN told me the same! She just told me to stay away from fragrances if I felt irritated at all. And I agree about the rose petals, it sounds scratchy lol.
The only ingredient here I haven’t used in my CP soap yet is the apple cider vinegar. I thought you couldn’t put vinegar in soap. But maybe that’s just CP? Either way I feel all the ‘yoni’ marketing is sus. Lol. The turmeric EO sounds pretty cool though.

A feminine wash needs to be gentle and PH balanced. The yoni feminine bar looks like mp but there are no ingredients that I could find so no way to know if its detergent based or a lye soap.

As far as the claims, its BS. Soap cleans, it not going to treat any medical conditions or tighten anything.
This makes sense to me the most! Like soap cannot achieve that it’s not medicine lol.

@Arimara I don't really understand the warning against soap though. I use vagisil and salt bars, honestly I can't tell any differance.
No irritation or other unpleasantness.
Im the same way if I use dove or something store bought down there it may be irritating but my handmade soaps always feel fine even the ones with a little fragrance in them. I guess everyone has different levels of sensitivity at the end of the day. I wouldn’t market soap with mica or fragrance as feminine soap though.

Haha, this reminded me of a review I read some years ago. It has only taken me an hour’s browsing to find it. Laughed my socks off when I read this the first time.
This blog was not the original review that I read but here was the first place that I found it.

https://www.tyla.com/you/funny-this...ource-mint-shower-gel-is-going-viral-20170511

Edit- as an aside, should we have a warning for the menfolk here? 😄
No.
If men can't handle women talking about vaginas due to their own fragile masculinity, that's their problem not ours. LOL (kidding - but not really! LOL)

What I am wondering is why people are not educated enough to realize that the vagina itself is a self cleaning organ and that water alone would suffice in cleaning it, but if you do feel you need something a little "extra" it should be in the form of a natural douche and not a bar of soap.

No.
If men can't handle women talking about vaginas due to their own fragile masculinity, that's their problem not ours. LOL (kidding - but not really! LOL)

What I am wondering is why people are not educated enough to realize that the vagina itself is a self cleaning organ and that water alone would suffice in cleaning it, but if you do feel you need something a little "extra" it should be in the form of a natural douche and not a bar of soap.
They way I looked at it was more we're talking about what they just don't know. I surely don't know what it's like to have to be concerned with body parts exclusive to the male anatomy and I might treat it as a study.

I was made aware about the nature of our vagina's since 13 through very thorough health & sex ed. I had hoped to share a good chunk of that with my child. since much of it still applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back