What is with the drama????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyvern

Reaction score
I just need to vent!! (probably contributing to the drama :oops: )

I belong to various soapmaking groups online because I just love to read and learn about soapmaking and there is one in particular that is always full of drama!! You would think that we were trading in gold bullion instead of soap! After reading through hundreds of posts over the last couple of months praising a particular product distributor....today I start the morning off by reading the latest post about how due to personal issues this distributor is now an outcast?!?!? And I suppose this wouldn't bug me so much if it was just this one incidence but it is always something. And as far as advice goes...this particular group seems to think they have cornered the market on soapmaking supplies and such. I thought the whole point of belonging to different groups was to exchange ideas or get help and advice and be part of a community that is trying to continue learning and sharing the joys and knowledge of a soapmaking (or whatever the group happens to be about). On a couple of different occassions I have attempted to ask advice about a particular product or if they could point me in the right direction and just never got an answer back...not even saying "I would rather not divulge my sources" or something to that affect. I wasn't asking for their 'secret family recipe' or anything?!?!? And yes, there are not so nice people out there in the big bad world...but isn't it better to forgive and maybe just quietly be wary?

Anyway...just had to get that off my chest...it has bugged me all morning. :oops: I also belong to a knitting community (http://www.Ravelry.com) and just have to say that I love that community...I have never come across similiar situations there.

Have a happy soapy day! :D

I hear you. I have enough drama IRL due to extended family living together mom me hubby and 2 children. I am glad that here I get helpful answers usually more than one.

It's sad to say in the soaping community I've noticed some shameful behavior actually being promoted by long time members. But live and let live until one creates their own playground with their own rules. :roll:

sandyvern said:
On a couple of different occassions I have attempted to ask advice about a particular product or if they could point me in the right direction and just never got an answer back...not even saying "I would rather not divulge my sources" or something to that affect.
Well on this point there are many who feel that if they don't have something to add, there is no point in posting. It's unlikely I'll post simply to say "gee, I don't know" or "I know, but I'm not telling".

I understand the need to vent - I belong to those too, and feel your pain - but what happens there should stay there. It's best not to drag the drama over here.

carebear said:
sandyvern said:
On a couple of different occassions I have attempted to ask advice about a particular product or if they could point me in the right direction and just never got an answer back...not even saying "I would rather not divulge my sources" or something to that affect.
Well on this point there are many who feel that if they don't have something to add, there is no point in posting. It's unlikely I'll post simply to say "gee, I don't know" or "I know, but I'm not telling".

I understand the need to vent - I belong to those too, and feel your pain - but what happens there should stay there. It's best not to drag the drama over here.

I wasn't intending on dragging the drama over here which is why I attempted to use emoticons to insert some levity on the subject.

And my attempts at asking for advice or info on a particular thing was to an individual not to the entire group...so I would think (I might be wrong) that an answer of some sort would be the polite thing to do.

Thinking today is a bad day to communicate online... :?

sandyvern said:
I also belong to a knitting community (http://www.Ravelry.com) and just have to say that I love that community...I have never come across similiar situations there.

Ravelry! I'm a member there too (my other passion, knitting :D ) though I only do it in the fall and winter - spring rolls around and I just HAVE to be outside, lol. People there are as great as the peole here imo.

Sunkawakan said:
sandyvern said:
I also belong to a knitting community (http://www.Ravelry.com) and just have to say that I love that community...I have never come across similiar situations there.

Ravelry! I'm a member there too (my other passion, knitting :D ) though I only do it in the fall and winter - spring rolls around and I just HAVE to be outside, lol. People there are as great as the peole here imo.

I'm on Raverly too, love it, such a good community..... as is SMF, I LOVE them both!
I find soapers and yarnies are just a bunch of really nice, helpful people!

:p Believe me, I've been browsing through quite a few forums, and still think this one is pretty low drama 8) :lol: And not just cause I'm a mod.

dagmar88 said:
:p Believe me, I've been browsing through quite a few forums, and still think this one is pretty low drama 8) :lol: And not just cause I'm a mod.

Drama ? What drama ?

This is a lovely, peaceful forum compared to some :)

I was a Mod on another forum which shall remain nameless. Exhausting drama.

I enjoy having a place where I can concentrate on soap related matters, not inflated ego issues.

Thanks, Gals and Guys.

I can honestly say that I haven't noticed ANY drama here! :D Perhaps I'm missing those threads or not browsing the right forums, but I'm here to learn about soap. If I wanted drama, then I could just watch soaps on tv.

(HAHAHA!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I crack myself up!)

KigerKat said:
I can honestly say that I haven't noticed ANY drama here! :D Perhaps I'm missing those threads or not browsing the right forums, but I'm here to learn about soap. If I wanted drama, then I could just watch soaps on tv.

ROFL !! You crack me up too :)

KigerKat said:

This would be my point...here at SMF I do find that people here are quite nice too!

HEY FELLOW RAVers!! TheSoapyEwe and Sunawakan :lol:

LOL....I just visited (or tried to visit) another soap forum. I got a blank screen w an IP address (mine, I guess???) and it said that I've been banned from the forum..... :shock: :shock: Ummmmmmmmm.......I've NEVER been there before....LOL... :lol: :lol: :lol:

hey...i got to check out that knitting one...I LOVE to knit!!

soapbubble said:
LOL....I just visited (or tried to visit) another soap forum. I got a blank screen w an IP address (mine, I guess???) and it said that I've been banned from the forum..... :shock: :shock: Ummmmmmmmm.......I've NEVER been there before....LOL... :lol: :lol: :lol:

hey...i got to check out that knitting one...I LOVE to knit!!

It is really cool! I have gotten so much knitting done since I joined...everyone is so encouraging and helpful!! :D

Yep, I've noticed this as well. One girl made the mistake of mentioning that another supplier was having a sale on fragrances and everyone just totally jumped all over her. When I first joined there I honestly didn't know it was run by a certain supplier and she didn't either. I though it was extremely mean spirited. This forum ROCKS!

I definitely feel you on the drama!!!.. I have seen other soap forums, and other types of forums and been members there as well, with cliques of people, trolls and all sorts...I cant stand that crap, its such a waste of time I dont understand why people take time they could be using to do something positive and just go off on tangents...

Thats why I like it here it stays pretty drama free, and I have learned sooooo much :)

Boy, am I glad I stumbled onto this forum first....sounds like I would have been totally turned off soap making elsewhere! Seems like all the 'experts' here treat us hobbyists with respect and are very helpful. I thank you!

Well, I still can't believe that Ian didn't like my "Thunderdome section" for the forum idea.... 8)

It could be, like, "bring your drama... and your chainsaw here." :twisted:

!!!!COMEDY!!! (takes a ridiculously deep curtsy)

lol I like the idea, Im just not sure how it would work for this forum... The thing is that it would need to be an adults only forum, and we market this forum as being a family forum...so that would kind of defeat all of this building that we have done for the community ya know what i mean?

Its kind of like in business when you are going for one niche... you advertise for that niche... and hence cater the advertisement to meet the needs and wants of that niche...

That would be getting into a whole side of things that IMO this forum was not created to include :)

Its not that its a bad idea... I do think people would have a prob keeping issues there...

EDIT: maybe we should have a team deathmath forum... lol ... give only 2-3 people the password to it and then let them fight to the death...

IanT said:
EDIT: maybe we should have a team deathmath forum... lol ... give only 2-3 people the password to it and then let them fight to the death...

Would a deathMATH forum, be anything like a deathMATCH forum, or would they bring some hardcore pencils and calculators?

(takes another even more ridiculously low curtsy)

Back