What is turning my soap pink

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimSteel

Reaction score
Recently made of batch of rosemary lemon and the white part turned rather pink as it cured. This had happened in the past, but not to this degree.
See here -> http://imgur.com/C12HIvZ

Recipe:
Olive oil, Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Shea Butter, Castor Oil

Lemon grass EO, Rosemary EO, Peppermint EO

Coloured with green and yellow oxides.
white part(pink) was coloured with titanium dioxide.

Soap was gelled

My guess is either the ricebran or lemongrass EO, but am wondering if certain ingredients could have an effect upon being mixed together. I'm going to be making another batch and am wondering if there is a way I can reduce/stop this this?

Thanks in advance, Jim

The same kind of thing happens to me with a few of my FO's, the most recent being London Fog from AH/RE. I don't work with EOs in soap, so I can't say for sure that that's what caused your pink to happen, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me if it were.

IrishLass :)

I agree with IrishLass. Fragrance, whether it's EO or FO, is usually the culprit when odd things happen to me. I recently used a very masculine FO that turned my batter a deep rose color. Needless to say, the men in my life aren't happy putting a pink bar of soap in their shower, lol. I've used the EO's you listed but not together in one recipe. In other blends they were fine so I wonder if some kind of chemical reaction is occuring when blended together?

I agree with IrishLass. Fragrance, whether it's EO or FO, is usually the culprit when odd things happen to me. I recently used a very masculine FO that turned my batter a deep rose color. Needless to say, the men in my life aren't happy putting a pink bar of soap in their shower, lol. I've used the EO's you listed but not together in one recipe. In other blends they were fine so I wonder if some kind of chemical reaction is occuring when blended together?

That was my thought. I use lemongrass in a lemon soap that I have, but it's coloured yellow, so if there is a change, it's not noticeable. The only other soap I use rosemary in also has lemongrass and It also turned a slight pink shade(but that was fine, because I like that).

Hoping to hear from some experienced EO users. Otherwise, wondering if increasing the Titanium or not gelling would have any effect.

Wow that is very pink! I use essential oils in soap quite a bit but have never seen that happen! The only colour changes i've experienced have been when using folded orange essential oil which darkens the soap ever so slightly. Intriguing!

I never noticed any discoloration with any of the EOs you used. Neither on their own nor together. Only folded orange and patchouli cause some yellowing and darkening as far as I have noticed in CP soap.

On the other hand, I have never used titanium dioxide, so I am too, quite puzzled. Perhaps the TiO2 had something to do with it? reacting with the EOs?

I've never had any issues using titanium dioxide with EOs, always white not pink! Is there any sort of contamination with your ingredients? Do any of them look pink before you put them into the soap?

What company were the essential oils from? I'm wondering about their purity, or if they are a mix of eo's and fragrance oil that some companies are selling to reduce costs.

The oils and EOs you used have never created an issue for me, so I'm stumped as well. The point previously made about a possible adulteration of an EO has me wondering. Maybe using water with a high mineral content? Grasping at straws.

Thinking about it, each of these oils came from a different supplier. lemongrass from NDA, peppermint from canwax and rosemary from saffire blue.

I've made a batch of this soap a few months ago(sold out now) but found a scrap of it on my shelf. It was plain old white where it was supposed to be. I guess this isn't going to be an easy fix.

I just have this feeling that is is caused by the lemongrass EO based on some slight colouration that I'm seeing in other soaps. Time will tell, I suppose.

Latest posts

Back