What is this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennyannlowe

Reaction score
My first oatmeal honey goats milk soap... Made last nite.

Soap is hard enough to unmold fine. I'm cutting it and so far so good...until I see a spot on one of the bars. See the close up....at the bottom and middle....a whitish gray spot? Its only on that one and it's not deep. Could it be a bit of tallow or something that didn't get mixed well enough?

1455768636605.jpg

Hi Jenny!

Looking at your soap through my magnifying glass (yes- I'm sitting here with a magnifying glass, because I couldn't see it clearly enough, lol), it kinda looks a lot like what a lot of people call 'glycerin rivers'. Does the spot have a translucency to it in 'person'? I ask because that's what I'm seeing through the magnifying glass- like there's a bit of translucency to it. If so- it's nothing to worry about. Glycerin rivers are just an aesthetic anomaly usually caused by soap getting a little bit too hot when going through its paces. At least that's what it looks like to me. Hopefully others will chime in soon and lend their thoughts.

IrishLass :)

It does have translucency.

I knew with the milk, sugar, honey and tallow cocoa butter..etc... that it was gonna get real hot and real thick real fast...I worked like a maniac to get it in the freezer in time. Wore me out!
Anyway thanks!

Back