What is this on soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im051

Reaction score
View attachment 60684

Hi, does anyone know what is this on the bottom of my melt and pour soap? It's like a solid foam. I'm not sure what I did wrong.

IMG20210907084455.jpg

This happened and I don't know what it is.

Overheated MP base poured and quickly cooled solid. Try a bit less heat to melt the base and spray with rubbing or isopropyl alcohol (or whatever you may call it in the UK - surgical spirit?) to make the bubbles pop. It also looks like perhaps the foam layer may have been made by vigorously stirring (like with a blender), but I doubt you did that with MP, right?

You say it's on the bottom, but I would expect this to be on the top (as poured). Is it really on the bottom of the soap (the inside bottom of the mold, that is) as you poured it in?

Hi thanks so much for your reply.

Yes it would have been overheated. It's on the top from the mold but when I removed it to cut, it's bottom. You're right.

I really stirred it thinking it might start cooling and solidifying in the jug. Not a blender though. Will take more time next batch. Thank you 😌

Yes surgical spirit. Thanks 👍

It's not rubbery and lathers well. Will keep for home use 😃

I've had that happen with homemade transparent soap - I usually just cut off the foamy bits and use for something else: a decorative embed, translucent soap dough, or just remelt with another batch slowly so the bubbles have time to dissipate before the soap sets.

Back