What is this! Lye spots??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodym

Reaction score
And what would cause this? The only thing i did different was less insulation!!? I used Sandlewood f/o and didnt happen last time..

image.jpg

Brenda, i bet it could be that.. I usally am so careful about that.. But sure could be. I'm so thankful for all of your help out there.. So frustrating and i dont want to give up!

I had that happen once. I never did figure out what it was. It didn't zap, and the white wasn't there when it was poured, and it wasn't ash. I used charcoal and oxides for the color, and I must have used some TD as well because that was the only thing I could attribute it too. It's been probably a year since I made that soap, so I don't remember exactly. I do remember that I gave up on trying to get it to gel, but when I got up and checked it in the morning it was warm and had those white spots on it. So it went into gel phase somewhere between 12 and 18 hours after pouring. Very strange.

Soap 002.jpg

Well i sure hope it doesnt happen again!
Love your swirls on your soap in the picture! Did it clean up and were you able to use it? Mine will be "for my family soap" as long as its safe after curing a while..

I was going to ask if you might have droplets of soap on the bottom of the mold that went in somehow before you added your FO or colorants. Dribbles from a spatula? However, after seeing Dibble's soap, it may just be the mysteries of soap.

Well i sure hope it doesnt happen again!
Love your swirls on your soap in the picture! Did it clean up and were you able to use it? Mine will be "for my family soap" as long as its safe after curing a while..

The soap was absolutely usable, and was actually very nice. It wasn't ash, didn't rinse off. I was a fairly new soaper at the time, and I haven't seen anything like it since. Mysteries of soap it must have been.

Back