What is the correct temperature?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynn

Reaction score
I am using Paraffin wax to make candles in various sized teacups. What temperature should I melt the wax too? I know it's best to heat the container as well. What temperature should I heat the container too?

I am using Paraffin wax to make candles in various sized teacups. What temperature should I melt the wax too? I know it's best to heat the container as well. What temperature should I heat the container too?
I never worry about heating the container. There's no point. People heat the container to avoid wet spots, but as soon as the candle is in a different environment of where it was made the wet spots will come, there's just no avoiding it.
What is the melt point of your wax? For container paraffin, melt points are usually around 140 (ish) or less, if it's a blend. I typically melt my container wax to about 185-190, then add FO/colorant at about 170-175 ish, then pour.

Paraffin is not as picky as soy wax is and your temps don't need to be as exact. As long as you can incorporate the FO without problems the temp should be fine. I would never go above 195-200 with paraffin though. It won't hurt it, there's just no point.

Thanks.
I never worry about heating the container. There's no point. People heat the container to avoid wet spots, but as soon as the candle is in a different environment of where it was made the wet spots will come, there's just no avoiding it.
What is the melt point of your wax? For container paraffin, melt points are usually around 140 (ish) or less, if it's a blend. I typically melt my container wax to about 185-190, then add FO/colorant at about 170-175 ish, then pour.

Paraffin is not as picky as soy wax is and your temps don't need to be as exact. As long as you can incorporate the FO without problems the temp should be fine. I would never go above 195-200 with paraffin though. It won't hurt it, there's just no point.
Thanks. My problem is out of the 5 candles I have made so far all but 1 has pulled away from the sides. From my research online it is supposedly due to melting at an incorrect temperature

What wax are you using? If it's pulling completely away from the sides, sounds like you aren't using a container blend but a pillar blend. If it's a container blend the few areas pulling away from the sides is normal, as all paraffin wax shrinks, but the container blends have different type of additives than the pillar blends do to reduce the shrinkage.

Temperature really shouldn't be the issue unless you are using the incorrect wax. If you could give the exact wax you are using, and maybe even a picture I can help you better.

As was said, in a teacup you won't see the sides so you don't really need to heat the candle. For most waxes a good rule of thumb to heat the wax is 40F above the MP. So if it is a 130F MP you would heat to 170-180F. Other then that I would check with the supplier to see if there are any specifications.

Back