What is the cheapest oil for making soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickedter

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm looking for oil to make some really cheap soap. I have been using coconut an oil and palm oil so far. Which saves us the cost most but I have heard using an oil from pork fat. Which will save us around 50%. What do people think?

Okay, this will probably sound like a very silly question, but I have never worked with lard before. Does lard have any smell? If it does, does it affect the soap any?

Okay, this will probably sound like a very silly question, but I have never worked with lard before. Does lard have any smell? If it does, does it affect the soap any?

Not the lard you buy in the grocery store now, it is deodorized. If you rendered your own it would have a smell, but in the soap it would *mostly* fade to a very faint aroma when used.

The only time I have had piggie smell was when I soaped too hot--pre melting the lard with the harder oils like cocoa butter and the like. Now that I soap at cooler temps no issues at all--I let the heat from the lye reaction melt the lard and no bacon-ie smell at all!

Last edited:
Beef tallow can be even cheaper than lard and is great in soap. Every recipe is different. I have made an 80% tallow bar and a 20% tallow bar. Just depends on what properties you want in your soap.

Latest posts

Back