What is the best way to make a hole/tunnel through a bar of soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to make “soap on a rope” gift soap for family members. The bars will be 2.5” x 3.5” x 1.5” and made from a lard-rich recipe that won’t be gelled. I will be using a small slab mold. I plan to run braided cord through a hole at one end of the soap. I’m not sure how and when to make the hole. I have some plastic straws in the house, but I don’t know if the plastic is heat resistant. I can test that by heating them in water. If they are heat resistant, should I just “glue” them in place in advance?

how about wrapping some wooden dowels in press and seal and putting them in the soap if using a slab mold maybe try gluing or screwing the dowels to a board that you can add the dowels to the soap and have a little weight on the dowel to hold them in place

If you have a pumpkin carving kit, there might be a round, pointed punch in there for punching holes in pumpkins. I bet that would work.

I have made soap on a rope and have used a drill. While it worked great as far as making a hole, all of the soaps developed a brownish sticky gunk where the whole was drilled.

I have made soap on a rope and have used a drill. While it worked great as far as making a hole, all of the soaps developed a brownish sticky gunk where the whole was drilled.
I decided to try the drill approach. If I make the hole a little smaller than the final size using a drill, I should be able to enlarge it with something tbd that’s made out of stainless or plastic. Thanks!

Why not use individual cavity molds. You can make and pour just enough soap to hold down the rope in the molds: and then when it hardens, make and pour enough soap to fill the molds.

Here’s what I made in the slab mold. It’s not bad for the first try, but I may need to give it a second (or third) try to get it just right. I don’t have cavity molds that are big enough for the anchors, which I think look pretty big even for these soaps, which are 2.5” x 3.5”. I’m planning to drill the hole through the top of the anchor. The batter firmed up a bit more than I intended which means the white base isn’t as smooth as I hoped it would be. Next time I will make the red stripes in a loaf mold so I don’t have to worry about lining up my seams.

174AD451-C5B2-454F-85EB-F8A3F8E3113D.jpeg

Latest posts

Back