What is the best fragrance oil ever?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it is lemongrass verbena from New Direction aromatics, when I did a craft show, some people would come and ask what is that smell (out of the dozens of soaps on the table, I knew which one they meant) and when I would hand it out they would usually buy it). I didn’t sell it out like lavender or peppermint, but it did well overall.

Hello all you fellow soapies,

Thank you for all your caring and sharing. Couldn't do this without you.

Can I please piggy back on this thread? I have taken into account your submissions above, thank you so much.

I have been reading threads on this forum and slowly buildng up a wishlist.

I know this is subjective, but I am asking you to so kindly share your best selling F/O - with the following in mind:-

I am planning a road trip in USA (& a short trip into Canada) and will end up in Seattle early October. I have contacted the hotel that I am booked at, and they willing to accept parcels for me.

I would love to buy some F/O (which can be transported via air) from different suppliers-
  1. Shipping must be fair/free /free for a minimum order to Seattle. (I will be ordering from NS - free over $30 & BB,lower rates in Seattle as per their response )
  2. F/O must be long lasting in CP (very important to me)
  3. minimal or no acceleration though I can work with this if warned in advance)
  4. minimal/no discolouration (though I can work with this if warned in advance)
I will be visiting Colorado; Utah; California; Washington, (& also Canada BC & Alberta) but want to leave my F/O for collection at point of departure in order to save on internal air fares and for convenence. (I don't want the items to be sitting in a hot car for long periods of time)

I am concerned with purchases iro of new IFRA, so I'd be very grateful for suggestions taking this into account. (I've been reading about concerns about BB usage rates on this forum).

Thank you so much.

Fragrance trends tend to come and go. Over the last 20 years I would say Oatmeal, Milk, and Honey. It was popular for a very long time. At one time it was 1/3 of what I sold. Also, Black Raspberry Vanilla. Both may be sweeter than today's trends but still great fragrances and lasted a long time.
I like BRV and it is a good seller for me. I HATE oatmeal, milk, & honey and wouldn't carry it no matter the demand.

Can I please piggy back on this thread? I have taken into account your submissions above, thank you so much.

I know this is subjective, but I am asking you to so kindly share your best selling F/O - with the following in mind:-

I am planning a road trip in USA (& a short trip into Canada) and will end up in Seattle early October. I have contacted the hotel that I am booked at, and they willing to accept parcels for me.

I would love to buy some F/O (which can be transported via air) from different suppliers-
  1. Shipping must be fair/free /free for a minimum order to Seattle. (I will be ordering from NS - free over $30 & BB,lower rates in Seattle as per their response )
I will be visiting Colorado; Utah; California; Washington, (& also Canada BC & Alberta) but want to leave my F/O for collection at point of departure in order to save on internal air fares and for convenence. (I don't want the items to be sitting in a hot car for long periods of time)

I am concerned with purchases iro of new IFRA, so I'd be very grateful for suggestions taking this into account. (I've been reading about concerns about BB usage rates on this forum).

Thank you so much.
I think you'd get more to-your-point responses if it was a stand-alone thread with a title that included something like "Frangrances that can travel by air: Suggestions needed for Upcoming Travel" or something like that. I am sure you can come up with a better title that will draw attention to what you need and get you the feedback you desire.

Thank you so much.

I think Nurture is your best bet. Her website has a section of FO's called "Perfect in Soap." I've used most of them--very few issues and they all smell pretty good. Carrie is very responsive, and since Nurture ships overseas, I'll bet if you dropped her an email and told her your plans, she'd probably be able to tell you which can be transported by air.

She might even be able to give you a quote on what it would cost to ship to Oz.

I really have nothing but good things to say about Carrie and her company. :)

I think you'd get more to-your-point responses if it was a stand-alone thread with a title that included something like "Frangrances that can travel by air
Ditto. Good idea. I actually have been ignoring this thread cuz I don't have an answer! hahaha.

Thank you, will follow your tips zany and Earlene. You are both such gems.

@carlyB thank you, I have previously purchased a few times from NS and had shipping to Australia. Her shipping rates are fairly reasonable compared to others. But this time as I plan to be in US I thought I'd save on shipping.

Have a great day.

As for the Dragon's Blood AliOop mentioned there is a slightly different version available at California Candle Supply. It is close to the original we had made just not quite as strong. The original formula was to costly to manufacture and the manufacturer upped the minimum requirement for ordering so it was no longer feasible to have it made. It also happened with the Hardwood Musk Cal Candle carries but it is still a lovely fragrance and is terrific mixed 50/50 with Cal Candles Plumeria.

Plumeria, DB, and Plumeria/Hardwood Musk were 3 of my best sellers. Another runner-up is their Caramel Tobacco which never stays in stock long, neither my stock nor CC's stock.
I ordered all of those, plus their White Tea so I could get the free shipping with five lbs of fragrance. The order arrived yesterday, and all of these scents are fantastic!

The DB as you noted is not as strong, and doesn't have the depth of yours, but it's the closest I've found so far. The White Tea smells like a perfect dupe of the discontinued White Tea and Ginger from Peak Fragrance that I've been trying to find. The Plumeria is beautiful and soft, and one of the few florals that I actually like. The Hardwood Musk and Caramel Tobacco are great unisex fragrances that aren't overly musky or masculine.

Can't wait to soap with all of these.

I ordered all of those, plus their White Tea so I could get the free shipping with five lbs of fragrance. The order arrived yesterday, and all of these scents are fantastic!

The DB as you noted is not as strong, and doesn't have the depth of yours, but it's the closest I've found so far. The White Tea smells like a perfect dupe of the discontinued White Tea and Ginger from Peak Fragrance that I've been trying to find. The Plumeria is beautiful and soft, and one of the few florals that I actually like. The Hardwood Musk and Caramel Tobacco are great unisex fragrances that aren't overly musky or masculine.

Can't wait to soap with all of these.
Mix 50/50 Hardwood Musk and Plumeria it was a fantastic Unisex seller for me. The Hardwood was a dupe of one from Apples and Berries that went out of business. The one he sells now is like the DB not as strong or quite the same depth as the original dupe as it is being manufactured from the same manufacturer as the DB now. But it is still nice.

ETA: The Plumeria holds well but does accelerate trace as does the Hardwood Musk. I never planned more than one swirl color with a 31% Lye Concentration. This was with my tallow/lard recipe. @ 40/27% so it can change with a slow trace recipe

Last edited:
Mix 50/50 Hardwood Musk and Plumeria it was a fantastic Unisex seller for me. The Hardwood was a dupe of one from Apples and Berries that went out of business. The one he sells now is like the DB not as strong or quite the same depth as the original dupe as it is being manufactured from the same manufacturer as the DB now. But it is still nice.

ETA: The Plumeria holds well but does accelerate trace as does the Hardwood Musk. I never planned more than one swirl color with a 31% Lye Concentration. This was with my tallow/lard recipe. @ 40/27% so it can change with a slow trace recipe
The Hardwood Musk and Plumeria together is really nice. I got the old hardwood musk from @cmzaha and I have been hoarding it and the Dragon’s blood.

Ginger Woods from Stock Fragrances. I’ve never smelled anything like it and yet it gives me a nostalgic feeling. I want my life to smell like this. It’s woodsy, warm, spicy, just amazing. Haven’t soaped with it yet. I’ll post a report when I do!

I used to buy a fragrance from Bramble berry called Spiced Amber Ale. But, they discontinued it. (I had to take a break from soapmaking as I dislocated one side of my hip!). Anyway, luckily for me I had just purchased a pint. I still have about 4 oz. But, I would love to either find another vendor or a company to dupe it since Bramble berry has told me they won't be bringing it back.

😍 What a great descriptor- exactly how I feel about just a handful fragrances!
Would love to hear more! I keep hearing about the coveted Dragon’s Blood. I bought some (can’t remember the vendor) and it is really bad OOB. Like cinnamon, dollar store perfume, and occult store. I’m not sure what it is supposed to smell like.

Would love to hear more! I keep hearing about the coveted Dragon’s Blood. I bought some (can’t remember the vendor) and it is really bad OOB. Like cinnamon, dollar store perfume, and occult store. I’m not sure what it is supposed to smell like.
I have had the same experience with most of the other DBs that I’ve smelled, except the custom blend I bought from @cmzaha. It doesn’t have the spicy or perfumey notes that others have - and that I so dislike. Instead, I smell vanilla, caramel, musk, and baby powder notes. Maybe some sandalwood? Some folks say it is masculine, but I’d say unisex.

I just bought some DB from California Candle Supply that smells fairly close OOB. When I smelled it again yesterday, without smelling any of other FOs that could confuse my nose, I did catch a hint of the spice note that I don’t like. So we will have to see how it soaps.

Sandalwood vanilla is another favorite of mine. I adore the ones that have those two notes only, and no others that are discernible.

I have had the same experience with most of the other DBs that I’ve smelled, except the custom blend I bought from @cmzaha. It doesn’t have the spicy or perfumey notes that others have - and that I so dislike. Instead, I smell vanilla, caramel, musk, and baby powder notes. Maybe some sandalwood? Some folks say it is masculine, but I’d say unisex.

I just bought some DB from California Candle Supply that smells fairly close OOB. When I smelled it again yesterday, without smelling any of other FOs that could confuse my nose, I did catch a hint of the spice note that I don’t like. So we will have to see how it soaps.

Sandalwood vanilla is another favorite of mine. I adore the ones that have those two notes only, and no others that are discernible.
Interesting. I really recommend getting the sniff samples from Stock Fragrance, it is so much fun trying them all out, and of course I immediately put in an order, so it works for them too.

Latest posts

Back