what is okay for mixing lye in besides steel?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
I've read about not to use glass no matter how thick but it seems like plastic might melt from the heat. I have heatproof spatulas and could someone suggest a brand of bowls that are heatproof?

I've just been using a stainless steel pot with a handle but would like to have an alternate lye mixing pot or bowl or even pitcher. Thanks!

I use large yogurt containers or cheap plastic buckets of the same size from the paint store. Have never had one melt from the heat of the lye, and I've reused them countless times :)

I use an old Tupperware straight sided bowl. It is thick and has never shown signs of wear or melting. I keep it just for lye water though...... no food.

There are certain plastics better suited to take the heat than others, I know PP#5 is one, I'm sorry I cannot remember the others. Take a rather sturdy plastic vessel, pour very hot water in it, wait a minute, then put your hand against the outside. If it is hot or feels like the plastic is soft or pliable, don't use it. If it is only warm and still rigid you are probably fine.

I know there is a link around here somewhere to a list of preferred materials for soaping... I will keep looking

I've been using an old Rubbermaid brand gallon drink pitcher and have not had any problem with lye eating through. It's nice because it's tall, so if any of my liquids have sugar content, it doesn't "volcano" out. Look for dishwasher/microwave safe plastics, those both get pretty hot too.

I use a silicon mixing pitcher that I bought from one of the soap suppliers.

I use a PP5 pitcher by MainStays to mix my lye in (Walmart's store brand pitcher). For long term storage, I am using a Lock N Lock gallon pitcher - its airtight. The 2 qt sizes are water tight but I'm not storing multiple pitchers LOL

I thank you all for the help. I didn't know there were many plastic options. I'm going to Walmart tomorrow and The Dollar Tree so I should be able to come up with something appropriate. A spout would be nice which you don't get with ordinary steel pots.

Back