What is it? Can I fix it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this has been QUITE the roller coaster of a soap making batch! I was mortified and sure I’d lost them all. I put them in a cool room and walked away. Awhile later they were firming up and a nice much more even color. But, they were still soft enough I could reshape the gloppy ones, at least a little. I followed the videos directions exactly. I wonder if the formula had anything to do with it. Anyway, I’m back to being pleased with the batch and happy to put them away to cure.

Attachments

• A9FC400E-8722-4C54-9CCF-8B752B53400E.jpeg
    A9FC400E-8722-4C54-9CCF-8B752B53400E.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 12
  • 997FD424-0DB4-44AD-8D44-95B2AB2758EB.jpeg
    997FD424-0DB4-44AD-8D44-95B2AB2758EB.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 11
It’s possible that the reason your soap melted so quickly is that you used a low lye concentration and beer as the liquid (lots of sugar). I just ran your recipe through the calculator at 5% superfat and came up with about 27% lye concentration or 36% water as percent of oils. Does that sound right? I apologize for not checking your recipe before I shared that I don’t put my soaps back in the mold. I never use a lye concentration lower than 33% and for that reason, my soaps start out much drier than yours. Like the ones in the video, they barely deform, even as they gel. I’m so happy to hear that all is well in the end.

It’s possible that the reason your soap melted so quickly is that you used a low lye concentration and beer as the liquid (lots of sugar). I just ran your recipe through the calculator at 5% superfat and came up with about 27% lye concentration or 36% water as percent of oils. Does that sound right? I apologize for not checking your recipe before I shared that I don’t put my soaps back in the mold. I never use a lye concentration lower than 33% and for that reason, my soaps start out much drier than yours. Like the ones in the video, they barely deform, even as they gel. I’m so happy to hear that all is well in the end.
I’m still trying to understand the lye as a percentage. I thought as long as my liquid was within the range the lye calculator offered that it was ok. So, maybe it was ok, but would behave differently in this situation?

I’m still trying to understand the lye as a percentage. I thought as long as my liquid was within the range the lye calculator offered that it was ok. So, maybe it was ok, but would behave differently in this situation?
Everyone has personal presences and there is no right answer. I think these are the best reads on how water content/lye concentration affects soap making:

https://classicbells.com/soap/waterInSoap.asphttps://classicbells.com/soap/waterRatioConc.asp

Latest posts

Back