What is Bastille soap? Seems there are many "definition

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATL-Soap

Reaction score
Hi, can someone let me know the definition of Bastille soap? I see lots of different definitions here and on the web...some say its soap with less than 50% olive oil, other definitions say its a soap with olive oil and just one other oil, etc...everyone believes they have the right definition...just curious as to the official one! thanks!

Don't know. There is nothing in chemistry related to Bastille. It could be a second hand way of claiming it as a "French" soap (whatever that means), since Bastille is a celebration in France and some parts of Canada related to the French independence.

This is just a guess, since I'm new to all this too, but from all the searching I've been doing lately, I've gathered that Bastile soap is a term for soap made with primarily olive oil, with smaller quantities of other oils as well, as opposed to Castile soap, which is made with only olive oil.

I may be completely wrong though, so hopefully one of the experts on here will respond.

i'm also not sure, but that what yeahhtrue said is the definition i saw most of the times!

yeahhtrue said:
This is just a guess, since I'm new to all this too, but from all the searching I've been doing lately, I've gathered that Bastile soap is a term for soap made with primarily olive oil, with smaller quantities of other oils as well, as opposed to Castile soap, which is made with only olive oil.

I may be completely wrong though, so hopefully one of the experts on here will respond.

Your definition is dead on....you're not wrong at all.

Bastile is pretty much any soap made with mostly olive oil. :)

MikeInPdx said:
yeahhtrue said:

Your definition is dead on....you're not wrong at all.

Bastile is pretty much any soap made with mostly olive oil. :)

Thanks Mike. I figured my French Soap theory was pretty lame.. :shock:

artisan soaps said:
Castile - 100% Olive Oil
Bastile (bastard/impure Castile) - high % Olive Oil based formula

:lol: wow, what snobbish origin of the name! i feel a need to say now that i like bastile more than castile! i feel better now :D

i've been making lots of castile, but since i started adding castor in it, i don't think i'll ever make pure castile again, unless someone specifically asks for it (my friends' grannies are nuts about my castile ;) )

thanks for the information! i like the idea of bastile as a high olive oil soap. i've seen many people market castille soap...that contains lots of other oils...thanks again!

Back