What is actually happening at trace?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to say that I never bang my molds, and I seldom see bubbles or voids unless the soap was a really thick batter when "poured". (One pine tar batch comes to mind).

The physics of bubbles rising in a fluid: The rise of a small air bubble is related to the bubble's size, the kinematic viscosity of the fluid (the soap batter), and the acceleration of gravity. Since you have no control over the bubble size and gravity, the only thing you can manipulate is the viscosity of the soap batter.

If possible, pour thinner so the viscosity of the batter in the mold is thinner to begin with.

Once the batter is in the mold, don't bang. Gently shake or vibrate the mold from side to side so the batter just jiggles a bit. It's safer than banging, but the jiggling also loosens the batter more effectively (assuming it's not super gloppy thick). Soap batter is a "thixotropic" fluid, meaning it becomes less viscous (thinner) when it is moving. Jiggling is more effective at thinning out a thixotropic fluid -- try it and see what you think.

Oh, and if you can, pour a thin layer and jiggle, pour another thin layer, jiggle, etc. The bubbles will have less distance to travel so they are more likely to get to the surface, leaving you with a bubble-free batter.

Ever wonder why ketchup "sticks" in the bottle but pours really fast once it starts to move? Thixotropy! Give the ketchup some gentle taps at the neck of the bottle. You want to jiggle the part of the ketchup that needs to flow first. This will work much better than madly banging the bottom of the bottle. My husband never remembers this -- he just gives the bottle to me.

Last edited:
My hubby always turns the bottle straight upside-down. And bangs the bottom. And shakes it wildly, as I cringe. And finally sticks a knife in the bottle.

I gently shake the bottle with the lid ON at an upside-down angle, open the lid, and as air goes in, ketchup comes out. It has to have a gap for air in order to flow smoothly, otherwise it 'glugs' like a water-cooler. LOL

I only bang my HP batches. The CP ones are usually poured or squirted -I love putting colors in squeezy bottles and squirting the colors in thin zig-zaggy layers- but they're thin enough not to worry about big bubbles, and I just jiggle em a bit if I want to even them out.

Thixotropy? Fascinating concept. I didn't know that was the word for it. :)

I have read that someone uses an electric sander -- minus the sandpaper of course -- to jiggle the sides of their molds and they said it worked great! And eliminated the pimples caused by wire cutters hitting the little bubbles in the soap.

Wow. I can't believe I got my own cape! :D

sh05.jpg

I even smoke a pipe!

OMG ... I always wondered if you were a Basil Rathbone type! Now I know!!!! <...swoon...>

I've been a huge Sherlock Holmes fan since high school.

(No, I'm not going to mention when that was. A lady needs a few secrets.) :)

"...Thixotropy? Fascinating concept. I didn't know that was the word for it...."

I love (well, like) chemical engineering. Tidy mechanical engineeering coupled with messy chemistry. Neat words. Thixotropy, azeotrope, nucleating, immiscible, ....

"...I have read that someone uses an electric sander -- minus the sandpaper of course -- to jiggle the sides of their molds..."

Neat idea -- thanks for sharing that one! It would much more efficient and quicker than jiggling by hand, and I bet it does work beautifully.

I LOVE Sherlock Holmes! I have read the entire collection over and over again. :) That picture above is how I always pictured him.... Until RDJ. *swoon* I just adore RDJ. And he plays the character sooo well opposite Jude Law too. But I do still like the other incarnations.

Here's something funny....

uploadfromtaptalk1392911397307.jpg

Haven't seen BC as Sherlock ... yet ... but I just bought Season 1 of "Sherlock" with Mr. Cumberbatch this past weekend. Anxious to watch.

Sometimes Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock can be a little too manic for my taste, but then he quickly settles down into classic Sherlock. He's awfully "easy on the eyes", and that always helps! I also delight in seeing Downey in his amazing disguises.

To be fair, even Basil Rathbone's Sherlock on TV and radio tended toward the manic at times. I understand why; Sherlock is an intense, driven type of person and the traits that encouraged his cocaine and morphine use didn't help. But a little of the manic goes a long ways on the silver screen, IMO.

Regardless ... for many years, I have truly enjoyed Sherlock Holmes in all of his many incarnations in print and on radio, TV, and movie screen. It is an honor to converse with our very own Mr. Holmes here on SMF!

Last edited:
Do I hear a Sherlock Holmes fan club???? - I read and reread and have the whole collection.... And yes, the BBC Sherlock is awesome, and yes, Benedict Cumberbatch is a great Sherlock! So good to converse with people who read classics. I love my friends, but tv reality shows are their thing, not classic literature, very long sigh..........
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Haven't seen BC as Sherlock ... yet ... but I just bought Season 1 of "Sherlock" with Mr. Cumberbatch this past weekend. Anxious to watch.

Fasten your seatbelt, you are in for a real treat! It's available on amazon prime instant video and I believe netflix, too.

Sometimes Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock can be a little too manic for my taste, but then he quickly settles down into classic Sherlock. He's awfully "easy on the eyes", and that always helps! I also delight in seeing Downey in his amazing disguises.

To be fair, even Basil Rathbone's Sherlock on TV and radio tended toward the manic at times. I understand why; Sherlock is an intense, driven type of person and the traits that encouraged his cocaine and morphine use didn't help.

In my mind, RDJ came closer to the personality I envisioned when I would read the books. Yes, Holmes was quite manic, drove Watson as well as his landlord absolutely nuts. Basil also played that aspect fairly well, but it to me seemed like, at least the episodes I watched, they played more on the humor and was less realistic somehow in the portrayal. I'm not sure how to describe what I'm thinking... because of course RDJ's portrayal had a good dose of humor also, but his manic-ness and addictions I think were played truer to life -- likely due to his experiences... And that he seems to act like himself, instead of trying to force himself into the mold of a specific character. His personality and intensity and mannerisms remain a central part of any character he plays, from Chaplin to The Pickup Artist to Iron Man to Tropic Thunder, and of course Sherlock Holmes.

Shelock Holmes fan club? Yes! Sounds splendid!

AnnaMarie I love reading the classics. I know what you mean about that vs. Reality shows and such though. I don't understand the fascination with those type of shows. They're ridiculous, I think. The closest I come, I think, is some of the Food Network competition shows or restaurant rehab shows.

Try telling anyone you're starting Gone With The Wind or Lonesome Dove for the 4th and 5th times lol. They think you're nuts.

I've read Gone with the Wind, but not Lonesome Dove. Maybe I'll add that to my "read 52 books this year" list. Rather crazy I know, and I really don't have time for it, but here I am on schedule. I'm also reading all new stuff with the exception of my annual Lord of the Rings reading at the new year :)

There are quite a few classics I really enjoy, but I mostly tend to read non-fiction these days. I do enjoy re-reading various classics that I loved, but I've got so many books to read.... I've probably got twice as many physical books, ebooks, AND audiobooks in my possession than the ones I've read. I'm so bad. And yet I continue to get ebooks, audiobooks, and check out books from the library! I'm pretty good at staying out of physical bookstores these days because I know I have no self control... But with the internet, it probably isn't actually helping me any LOL.

"...amazon prime instant video and I believe netflix..."

I live in the boonies and get internet via satellite for an outrageous price and limited bandwidth. Just a couple of movies would blow through my monthly bandwidth allowance in a heartbeat. Found out the hard way last year when my sweet stepson was watching movies via Netflix during a visit to our place. Couldn't figure out why I was getting cranky messages from my internet provider about exceeding bandwidth. :(

But I bought the DVDs, like I said, and am eyeing them as I write this. They are sitting right next to my computer, sweetly tempting me with the promise of ...

Well, hmm, I, um, think I should just draw the curtains on that line of thinking. :)

Congrats people. You've taken the best thread to happen to the forum in forever and driven it into the ground with nonsense. I am shocked that you people can take such a subject and not even mention how lame it was the way wrote the charter for RDJ. I mean Sherlock is supposed to beat the bad guys with his brilliant mind not by being the next MMA rock star. I understand the modern twist on the hero and I admit it does work well with the whole overwhelming trouble of the brilliant mind in a similar fashion to the self destructive drug use but come on people did that ring true for the character to anyone? Then it was like someone realized this and tried to fix it with the whole voice over tactical analysis "crack rib leads to dislocated jaw leads to..." thing. I felt it was a pretty weak recovery.
--
Oh and the new "Sherlock" totally rules. Still waiting to see if they will ever release more on netflix.

Last edited:
Congrats people. You've taken the best thread to happen to the forum in forever and driven it into the ground with nonsense. I am shocked that you people can take such a subject and not even mention how lame it was the way wrote the charter for RDJ. I mean Sherlock is supposed to beat the bad guys with his brilliant mind not by being the next MMA rock star. I understand the modern twist on the hero and I admit it does work well with the whole overwhelming trouble of the brilliant mind in a similar fashion to the self destructive drug use but come on people did that ring true for the character to anyone? Then it was like someone realized this and tried to fix it with the whole voice over tactical analysis "crack rib leads to dislocated jaw leads to..." thing. I felt it was a pretty weak recovery.
--
Oh and the new "Sherlock" totally rules. Still waiting to see if they will ever release more on netflix.

Lol! Lol! You've given me a good laugh for the evening. Yes, there was a bit of hijacking here, but I think Seawolf will forgive us :D. I heartily agree that RDJ was not completely true to the original spirit of Sherlock (Sherlock was not so violent), HOWEVER....I still like the interpretation. I also like the interpretation of Elementary, but that is the kind of person I am. I am rather cosmopolitan that way :). But I agree with you that the new Sherlock "totally rules."
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Then it was like someone realized this and tried to fix it with the whole voice over tactical analysis "crack rib leads to dislocated jaw leads to..." thing.
--

LOL I kinda liked that part. How quickly his mind was calculating probabilities and scenarios based on what he'd deduced of the opponent's personality traits, while at the same time practicing being able to defend against an opponent even when drugged or intoxicated. There's enough examples in the books where he used physical force against an opponent, that it doesn't seem so far-fetched to me... And several stories Watson mentions: "Is an expert singlestick player, boxer, and swordsman." and other stories Holmes describes some of his fights, and talks about boxing and singlestick. Including the fight with Moriarty and going over the cliff... Actually, as I re-read some of his descriptions of his fights, they sound quite a bit like the voice-over narration he had going on during those scenes in the films...

Better than the TV episode, forget which one it was, where Holmes was fighting with a guy on top of a moving train with a sword (poorly, I might add, when he was supposedly an expert). THAT, to me, was implausible, given that particular character's physical and intellectual portrayal in the show. Actually, that whole episode annoyed me, which is probably why I've forgotten the name of it lol.

Seems like RDJ has a thing for voice-overs anyhow... He does it in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and a few other films also...

Latest posts

Back