What is a good scale that won't cost a fortune?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffm

Reaction score
My scale just died. I think that may be why my last batch of soap didn't turn out. What is a good scale that won't cost a fortune? Thanks!

Steffani

And one that will not die shortly after buying it. I have tried differant kinds and they do not last very long with me. If I would be helping it die, then that would be one thing, but I am not dropping it, or slamming it up against the wall. My last one didn't last three months. And yes I do first replace the battery first.

For soaping, I use a Pelouze postal scale that I bought at Staples office supply store. If I remember right, it was in the $35.00 to$40.00 range.

IrishLass :)

memadeit said:
And one that will not die shortly after buying it. I have tried differant kinds and they do not last very long with me. If I would be helping it die, then that would be one thing, but I am not dropping it, or slamming it up against the wall. My last one didn't last three months. And yes I do first replace the battery first.

I haven't run into this, thank goodness :D ! My last scale was something $25 and I've had it 4+ years!

I have the Pelouze from Staples as well, been using it for about 6 to 7 yrs. I think I have changed the battery once and I use it for weighing kitchen stuff as well.

Laurie

There's tons of cheap scales on ebay. I especially like "My Weigh" brand, though they have gotten a little pricier in recent years.

Thank you for the tip of My Weigh scales. 30 year warrenty is just what I NEEDED. Found one that also does % for recipes. That WILL come in handy. P.S. Hubby thanks you to since he said I will end up killing this one also soon after I get it. lol

I use an OXO digital from Crate & Barrel. It was a wedding gift-- 14 years ago. Never used it for food-- but it's sure handy for soap!!! It measures to the 1/8th of an ounce, which is fine for my 5lb and up batches. It doesn't give enough accuracy for EO's though...

I got mine from Old Will Knots for under $30.00, including shipping.
Just noticed today as I was browsing on Taylored Concepts web site that they are currently having a sale on a Primo brand that weights up to 11 lbs for $24.95.

So...what does one use for EO's. I discovered in trying to weigh them, no grams register for the longest time then when I finally get a reading, I'm pretty sure it isn't correct. It weighs the heavier items wonderfully though.

Latest posts

Back