What in the world?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
PXL_20230213_121313363.MP.jpg
does anyone happen to know what these spots are? This is the second batch that has turned out this way. I use this recipe oil/lye base literally all the time. It's a new scent rosemary mint and my 2nd time using this scent and the batch turns out this way....I threw out the first batch I thought it was lye heavy maybe I made a calculation error. But now the second time....?

Whew well that makes me feel better. I usually stick blend the scent in towards the end right before I'm about pour into the mold. But I clearly am not mixing it in completely. I'm wondering if maybe it's just a wierd scent that is difficult to blend? The only new scent I'm using is rosemary essential oil. I'm relieved it isnt a lye issue.

Looks like the scent wasn't mixed in all the way. When are you adding it and how are you mixing it?
I usually add essential oils is at the end so if it does seize up or act unpredictable I can quickly get it into the mold. But I have had a seizing problem in a year

Looks like the scent wasn't mixed in all the way. When are you adding it and how are you mixing it?
Oh and I also mix my essential oils with clay to anchor the scent

I use rosemary essential oil and stick blend it in at trace. I’ve never seen spots like this. Where did you buy your essential oil? I’m wondering if it was adulterated.

If it doesn't seem to accelerate trace, try mixing it with the oils first and maybe skip the clay
No it did not accelerate trace and good point I will blend sooner. I add clay also to harden and prolong the use of the bar. Have you found clay to make your bars last longer?

I use rosemary essential oil and stick blend it in at trace. I’ve never seen spots like this. Where did you buy your essential oil? I’m wondering if it was adulterated.
I use different companies. This particular rosemary is from hb oils. I also use plant guru and woolzies as well as others

When using a new scent, it is ALWAYS best to make a test batch so you know ahead of time if there are going to be problems.
Yes so true I didn't think of that. Will do that next time

View attachment 70892does anyone happen to know what these spots are? This is the second batch that has turned out this way. I use this recipe oil/lye base literally all the time. It's a new scent rosemary mint and my 2nd time using this scent and the batch turns out this way....I threw out the first batch I thought it was lye heavy maybe I made a calculation error. But now the second time....?
So oddly enough to the dots seem to have dissipated a bit and aren't as pronounced...this has never happened before. Im at my full time job rn will upload picture tomorrow

So you say it's rosemary mint - do you mean it's an FO and not an EO? I pretty much always add the fragrance directly to my oils BEFORE adding the lye solution. This ensures it's at the same temperature as the oils before mixing and will minimise issues such as ricing, etc. The only time I add fragrance at the end is when i know it's an accelerator.

No it did not accelerate trace and good point I will blend sooner. I add clay also to harden and prolong the use of the bar. Have you found clay to make your bars last longer?
I don't use clay, it dries my skin terribly. My recipe is quite long lasting so I don't have to add stuff to it but I used to use salt to harden

I don't use clay, it dries my skin terribly. My recipe is quite long lasting so I don't have to add stuff to it but I used to use salt to harden
Oh wow okay... So that makes total sense. So I can come up with a plan b. I read online not to use too much SL because it can make the bar too brittle. So I was using clay to compensate for that. I usually use one teaspoon of SL ppo... What do you suggest as a limit for SL PPO?

Oh wow okay... So that makes total sense. So I can come up with a plan b. I read online not to use too much SL because it can make the bar too brittle. So I was using clay to compensate for that. I usually use one teaspoon of SL ppo... What do you suggest as a limit for SL PPO?
When I used SL, I used 1 tsp PPO

When using a new scent, it is ALWAYS best to make a test batch so you know ahead of time if there are going to be problems.
Agreed! But should extend this rule to new oils too, especially if its something which smells as obnoxious as neem. Just used neem oil for the first time and learnt the hard way!!!

Agreed! But should extend this rule to new oils too, especially if its something which smells as obnoxious as neem. Just used neem oil for the first time and learnt the hard way!!!
Absolutely! New scent, new colorant, new additive, new recipe. I use 4" Square Silicone Molds as my test molds...they make 4-5oz bars that can be cut in half for testing purposes.

When testing any of these, I don't add anything else. I want to see how the scent is on its own...does it rice, does it accelerate, does it discolor? How does the colorant react with the oils that I use? Does the additive add anything to my recipe or am I wasting my money? If you like the results of the initial test, then it's time to make a test of your final product because not all things play well together.

Latest posts

Back