What in the world?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonCearley

Reaction score
I bought fifty pounds of Harmony Blend 4630 Wax from Lone Star.
I also bought fifty sample bottles of their scents.

I have poured candle after candle using that wax and their oils.

More often than not, the finished candle is beautful, except that the oil has settled to the bottom of the jar. Looks like water sitting there. It's actually liquidy.

I contacted Lone Star and they sounded surprised. They told me to turn up the heat on the wax. I did. I even tried going lower.

I finally decided their oils were not suitable.
So, Friday, I poured three one pound candles using Nature's Garden oils, which always work fine.
Here it is Sunday, and the oils are almost completely settled to the bottom again. Actually one is totally settled.

What in the world is going on with this wax?
It's beautiful once it sets up. It's kind of like a soft Crisco in the box.
Not at all as thick as Joy Wax.

I have wasted so much oil, colors, wax, and jars that I can't even believe it.

Any ideas on this problem will be appreciated.

What is your fragrance to wax ratio? I am not a candle maker, but I have piddleda bit. I had that happen once, I was using too much fragrance oil.

Tabitha said:
What is your fragrance to wax ratio? I am not a candle maker, but I have piddleda bit. I had that happen once, I was using too much fragrance oil.

I'm using one ounce to a pound, but they say to use up to 1 1/2 ounce for this blend. Yeah, right.

That was my question too, Tab. 1 Oz. PPO is not too much normally. I used to use .7 to 1 Oz. PPO when I poured candles. I bought from Lonestar, Bitter Creek, and a few others and never had this problem. Sounds like a wax issue.

Paul.... :wink:

I used between 1 and 1.5oz w/ success. It does sound like a wax issue.

Tabitha said:

Grrr...just checked. I have 40 pounds of that wax left.

I'll let you know if I ever figure it out.

Maybe it's just a bad batch of wax.

RonCearley said:
Tabitha said:

I'd get in contact with customer care at Lonestar and see what they will do to help you out. They should give you credit back on the unused portion. Hopefully, they will answer you honestly if you ask if anyone else is having issues similar to yours with this wax. I have not dealt with Lonestar for at least 2 years, but when I was ordering from them, they were always very customer orientated!

Paul.... :wink:

RonCearley said:
Tabitha said:

I see this wax being discontinued by several suppliers/

Did you make sure to thoroughly mix the fo into the wax? If so, did it incorporate into the wax easily? Some heavier fos will give you fits when trying to incorporate into the wax. I don't use this wax and never have, so these are just some guesses as to what may be your problem.

Lucy said:
do you have an update on this matter.

Update?
Yeppers.
I have poured several more bottles of Lone Star's scented oils.
I try them out in Joy Wax, that I know is good.
So far, most of the oils have sunk to the bottom. Some are worse than others.
I switch over to the NG oils and no sinking.

I poured a Snickerdoodle yesterday. Wow!
But, already today, I can see the oil settling.
Not as bad, but still.

I will continue to experiment, but I have a hunch I'll be burning most of these at home.

It's a shame, an expensive shame.
I guess I'll just use the wax for plain candles, which I didn't want to carry anyway.

I went by the Dollar General store this morning. Good grief, Charlie Brown. They had several shelves stocked with 8 oz scented candles. . . for a dollar. Duh. I pay more than that for the jars.

And with gas up to $2.85 here today, I guess prices will jump up again.
I am so tired of trying to compete with China.
Yes, I know my candles are much better, but people buy cheap.

Which is why bad scented oils and waxes from suppliers makes our situations even worse.

*Crossing fingers*

I've never had a bad case of 4630. After the initial problems with wicking I have to say that I like this wax. It has great cold and hot throw and a very nice creamy appearance.

As far as the cheap candles at some stores, there are always people that will buy cheaper, lower quality products. I don't let that get to me. If that's what they want, that is just fine.

Just focus on producing the best product you can and know that people that want a quality product will appreciate that.

Latest posts

Back