What if your preferred soap thickness?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuneP

Reaction score
I was looking at various soap cutters and most seem to have the wires set to cut 1" bars; but one gave you the option of ordering 1" or 1 1/4", or maybe even a custom size.

So I thought i'd ask what members preferred bar thickness and/or bar weight is.

I've been using a cheese cutter which has worked fine for the few soaps I've made till now; but now the whole family and friends want my soaps, so I'm thinking it might be nice to have one of those multiple cutters down the line.

I started cutting mine 3/4" thick and feel like its thick, but not too thick.

I also like the 1.25" but my mold is a little narrower than the most common width of 3.5".

I'm thinking 1 1/4" might work for me since my first soaps were done with full water discount and now I've lowered the water a bit by doing a 28% lye concentration, which means that once that extra water dissipates the bars will still be smaller than those of people who are using a much higher lye concentration.

I also prefer 1.25 inches as well. Nothing less, nothing more. I think there's a science to it, most commercial bars are that thick as well. OO2, my molds are just 3" wide and my cured bars are a little over 4 oz.

I'm another who likes 1.25". I don't sell, so can't justify the multi bar cutter. A good single bar cutter works well for me, and if for some reason I want to adjust the thickness I have that flexibility.

For the most part, I like to cut mine at a 1.25" thickness as well, but sometimes I cut a little thicker, depending. I use a large kitchen knife, which is works outs perfectly fine for me since I don't sell and am not making tons of soap at a time. I really like using my knife because I'm not locked in to having to make the same thickness every time if I don't want to. My bars range in weight between 5 oz. and 6.5 oz., depending.

IrishLass :)

I use a mitre box with a paint scraper to cut my soap. I have it set to cut at exactly 25mm (1 inch). When they cure they drop to between 20 and 22 mm. I was amazed at how much thickness they lose.

I think that is too thin. I am going to cut mine a little thicker 1.25 inch and see how thick they are when they cure.

I prefer nothing thinner than 1.1 inches. Thinner than that wears in the middle and cracks on me, and then I feel a little cheated, not to mention the waste. I don't like thicker than 1.25, beyond that they feel unwieldy and too big, I fear I'd break a toe if I dropped it :) 1.25 is perfect, in my book.

HOWever, I have fallen in love with Brambleberry's little 12-bar silicone tiny loaf-of-bread molds. Soaps come out 3 x 2 x 1.5, weigh 4.5 to 5 oz. and feel perfect in my smallish hands, the most comfortable size I've ever used. Adore them, they wear perfectly, fit in my smallest soap dishes, and generally just look cheerful. And no, I'm not an ad rep for BB ;)

Last edited:
I prefer the bar shape over the slice of bread. Just measured my "perfectly sized" bar and it's about 8 x 5 x 3.5 cm (3.15 x 2 x 1.4 in). I like to have a big chunk to hold in my hand. Somehow makes me feel more manly while I play around with that wonderful foam and smell like a fairy princess.

"...makes me feel more manly while I play around with that wonderful foam and smell like a fairy princess..."

I snorted mead up my nose when I read this. Good one! :)

My first two batches (loaf mold) I cut in 1", but I think the next batch I'll venture up to 1.25" or 1.5". I bought a loaf bar that is wider and as I use it, it feels better being thicker.

I like one inch. I would love a multi-bar cutter! Until I can get one I use a bread slicer to help me keep the bars a uniform size. I aim for 4oz bars.

Back