What have I done wrong, any ideas?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teapot

Lifetime Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just poured a batch of CP soap, I anticipated that the FO might accelerate trace, but the batter went jelly-like as I was pouring, and the final bars look grainy. I don't know if I let the oils get too cool. (I had an almost-volcano a while back which I think was due to the fats being too hot, so it's possible I've over-compensated.) Or, maybe I waited too long to add the FO, and should have done it at a thinner trace. There were quite a few bubbles in the mixture, but I don't think this is all bubbles. Any ideas? Do you think this will affect the texture of the finished soap?

The recipe is:

Shea butter 3.17 oz (10%)
Cocoa butter 3.17 oz (10%)
Coconut Oil 9.52 oz (30%)
Olive Oil pomace 9.52 oz (30%)
Castor Oil 3.17 oz (10%)
Palm Oil 3.17 oz (10%)

Distilled water 12.06 oz
Lye NaOH 4.35 oz
FO 30ml (coconut - I forgot to weigh it)

Actually, it occurs to me that the shea butter was a bit of an odd consistency. The first batch I had was relatively solid, but this was a bit, I don't know, mushy? I was able to get it out of the tub easily, using a spoon. I don't know if that's relevant, just trying to give as much information as possible.

20160513_202824.jpg

How is the batter looking now? Any oil separating out?

Was the fragrance oil the last thing you added? I think you may just have a little ricing. I've only had 2 cases of ricing, but the texture of the soap went a little wonky before I saw the "rice".

I can't see any oil separating out, it does appear to be partially gelling though, which I hadn't expected (or wanted). It's in individual silicon moulds, and I left it unwrapped, but it's got a darker patch in the middle. I rubbed a wet (gloved!) finger over the surface of the worst ones, to try and make it look a bit less awful, it felt rough.

I too think it riced from the texture in your photo. Was your FO considered soap stable and from a reputable company? It sounds like it is a heater as well. I would just leave it be and see what it's like in 24 hours or so.

Yes, it's from a reputable soap-making supplier. However, I just found a section of their site that I hadn't spotted before - customer reviews. It seems that this particular FO doesn't work well in CP soaps. One reviewer says it went to solid trace before they even got it in the mould, so it looks like my soap is not too bad, compared with what it could be!

I had no idea there were any reviews until last night, believe me, I'll be sure to read them in future! :D

It's not the prettiest soap ever, that's for sure. It looks like it might be a bit lumpy.

I just did a soap last night that did this. I was so unprepared for it because it is a recipe I have done in the past, my favorite soap recipe in fact. All the same ingredients and everything. BUT, I had not done a water discount with it before, and that's what I did this time. I used a 30% lye concentration and kept the 1% Sodium Lactate that I normally use with that recipe. Mistake. I immediately made another batch exactly the same without the SL, still at 30% [lye] and no problems at all. What a relief to know I was able to figure out the cause so accurately. So this morning I took a look at that ugly looking soap (the first one) & saw that it had separated. I plopped all the soap & the oil sitting on top into a bowl, covered it, & microwaved at 30% power (defrost) for 2 short bursts until it was easy to stir (a total of 3 minutes), added a teaspoon of yogurt and now it's as pretty as I had expected it to be. It wasn't supposed to be HP soap, but that's what it had to end up being. It's still in the mold, but so far it's looking so much nicer than before. I'm glad it was only a one-pound loaf to test the change I was making (the 30% lye concentration was the change.)

That's interesting Dixiedragon. I'm still really new to this, this is my 8th batch or so. I have used lard in some of my batches, but I'm still experimenting with different fats, to see what happens really.

It's out of the moulds now, there's a few pockets where I haven't got the batter into the corners properly - I didn't have time for that, just wanted to get it into the moulds as quick as possible!

I think my next batch is going to be something super-simple. It would be nice to have a batch I'm pleased with, for a change :)

I have a theory that where a lard soaper has "slight acceleration", a palm soaper has seizing or soap on a stick. I am now trying to remember to add something like, I use 40% lard, to my FO reviews

^^^ I think this accounts for some of the reviews being different.
Reviews are a guide but your own recipe and method makes a difference too.
So using the soap making forum spreadsheet is great because you get to know the reviewers - their method, recipe and sense of smell!
Saving a batch is a good feeling too.

The spreadsheet sounds good, where can I find this please? (I love spreadsheets!)

I LOVE this spreadsheet. It's filled with such valuable info. You can find it in the "Fragrance Oils/Fragrance Reviews" section. The first sticky there is the "Fragrance Oil Review Chart Link". Once you click on that, it'll have the link for the spreadsheet. All SMF members are welcome & encouraged to add info based on their experience. Even if there's already a review, add your own if you got different results compared to another soaper. :) Here's the link:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=47182

Latest posts

Back