What happens when you forget

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If that "distilled water" jug on the counter really IS distilled water. Or did you not screw up and actually put it with the supplies...

No more confusion. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1439508089.620839.jpg

Too bad I didn't think of this before I had to toss out some perfectly good drinking water and distilled water because I couldn't taste the difference.

You could get a cheap TDS meter, I got one for about $20 on Amazon a few years ago to check the water I use for my carnivorous plants. TDS = Total Dissolved Solids, it checks the water for mineral content.
That way if you ever have the question again you can just check and not waste the water.
Yes, I know, it's a $20 meter to save $0.89 of water, but it's a cool gadget, ok?

Does it tell you what is in your water? Will it list calcium, zinc, mercury, cadmium, dead fish and stuff like that? Well, maybe not the dead fish. But it would be really cool to have that for work. The water in my building is brown sometimes. I turn it on before I use the toilet so I'll have clean water to wash with. Oh, and it never gets warm, either.

No, sorry, it just gives a number representing the total mineral content of the water. It basically checks the electrical conductivity of the water and does a little math for the TDS reading.

Im still trying to figure out why you tossed perfectly good water :Kitten Love: :lol: {just pickin' at ya...I have many times tossed something and then slapped myself for it}

Oh and if your building has brown water sometimes, and you're in the city, the landlord needs to get the tanks cleaned or report the issue to the city..it could be rust deposits

Last edited:
Im still trying to figure out why you tossed perfectly good water :Kitten Love: :lol: {just pickin' at ya...I have many times tossed something and then slapped myself for it}

Oh and if your building has brown water sometimes, and you're in the city, the landlord needs to get the tanks cleaned or report the issue to the city..it could be rust deposits

Yeah, it was kind of lame to toss the water. But, when I weigh my water, if I over pour, I put it back in the bottle with a dropper or a cup. I didn't want to drink what may have been "used" distilled water and I didn't want to soap with what may have been tap water. I should have given it to the dogs. But if I wouldn't drink it, how could I condemn my babies to that torture?

Unfortunately, I'm in a 90-something year old Federal building. GSA is the landlord and GSA says there's nothing wrong with the plumbing (even though we have had poop falling through the ceiling in the not-too-distant past). They have the tests from the EPA and Tennessee Water to back that claim.

Back