What happens to the bad stuff in animal fat once saponified?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The question, I think, should not so much be, "Where does all the bad stuff go?", but more, "Is there bad stuff still in that lard to worry about?" Which, to me, is a more pertinent question. Because I have spent the best part of two days trying to find some sort of proof that bad stuff actually survives the rendering and filtering process to even end up in the lard. And I have yet to find one credible source that says that it does.

This is what I was wondering. Filtering might not remove "stuff," if it's there, but you have to heat the fat to render the lard, which would mean "stuff" would have to survive that process and a later meeting with Sodium Hydroxide and/or Potassium Hydroxide.

As already noted, this would be an issue with plant oils as well. Arsenic in rice is an example of elements and compounds that can be taken in and stored by plants. Before anyone asks, I don't know if this carries over to the oil, or if it exists in dangerous quantities.

That's the problem: We're dealing with multiple unknowns. If and when I start soap making, I'm not going to turn up my nose at lard and oils; after all, we cook in it. It would be nice if we had some hard data.

There are toxins in many foods that exist if they are prepared improperly. For example, cassava (also knows as yuca, Brazilian arrowroot, and tapioca) has cyanide in it. In fact, if it is improperly prepared, the cyanide levels can be so high that they cause acute toxicity and can lead to death. Cassava must be boiled and the water dumped in order for it to be safe. I remember one of my professors sharing a story about children who dies from consuming fried, unboiled cassava.

Basically, many things can be dangerous. Its a matter or how they are treated. I don't think that any of the "toxins" are at appreciable levels in oils.

For what it's worth, shea butter is edible. If you have food grade shea butter I'd be curious to hear how it is on toast.

I've eaten some by itself just trying it out. It's one of the oddest fat's I've tasted. I should make a few things with it and see how it turns out in a dish of sorts.

This thread has been a lot of fun to read through. I wish some studies were found for some good solid facts. I looked around some, but could only find fear mongering. Some great points were brought up! I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input, I don't really have anything to add.

*For how genius we feel our societies are at this time, we sure are missing a lot of puzzle pieces. So much more to be discovered!

Last edited:
http://omicsonline.org/animal-fat-processing-and-its-quality-control-2157-7110.1000252.pdf

http://vri.cz/docs/vetmed/56-6-274.pdf

These articles seem to indicate that some types of antibiotics could survive the rendering process while others would not, and that the heat breakdown of the antibiotics could produce undesirable chemical compounds. but the fats themselves are also very vigorously process and tested for contaminants, of which antibiotics and steriods are considered some, and my reading indicates that they have to fall within safe ranges to be sold as food

so! I would buy pre-rendered fats, and not ones from a butcher unless you know for sure its organic beef/pork, if you're worried about this

These articles seem to indicate that some types of antibiotics could survive the rendering process while others would not, and that the heat breakdown of the antibiotics could produce undesirable chemical compounds.
Good articles.

Of course that pre-supposes that we're eating the soap, which we are not. It also doesn't address the impact/change created by the caustic solution into which we drop those trace amounts of antibiotics - it's more than just the "effective pH range".

I've been using these oils and fats with antibiotics for a while now with no issues, and just look at my skin!

barlow.jpg

Last edited:
I am actually not worried about this but someone was asking for research, and the lye was actually why I posted the article about PH. I couldn't find any research on the effects of lye specifically on antibiotics, other than when it was used to adjust ph in lab tests for other things

I was bored last night and wanted to see what I could find for this

Oh I appreciate it! I guess I was not clear - I'm not talking about the efficacy of the antibiotic at a given pH, I'm saying caustic is likely to cause a reaction with the antibiotic, destroying it in some way or another. In other words, you're left with "something else."

I think the articles were great. It's difficult to find scholarly articles about some of these things.

Okay, hi! I study microbiology. And every cell weather plant or animal has a lipo-protein bacterium produced enzymatic amino acid protein nitrogen fat cell plasma membrane that that is the barrier between all plasma and cells so any toxins in our body or other sentient beings, this includes plants, when they come in contact with toxins they come in contact with this fat cell barrier first. Hence they say that toxins like to store in the fat of our cells. Fats are fatty acids, acids easily penetrate other molecules and thus easily absorb. Toxins clog up these membranes and cause a chemical reaction and acidity. It is possible that these toxins goes through an electro-neutrality when combined with potassium hydroxide or other alkali forms, or the could still be residing the best animal fat to use is organic or grass fed animals. This way it eliminates this worry.
Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back