What happens if I leave soap in the mold longer than needed?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea

Reaction score
It feels like I'm just asking new questions every minute, sorry!

I really want to make another batch of soap today before I go away for the weekend but the potential problem is I won't be back until Sunday so the soap will have to stay in the mold until then. Is this even a problem or will I have wasted my efforts?

I have left the soap in the mold for a few days while away and came home and cut with no problem. You should be fine. Enjoy your weekend :)

It also depends on your formula. I left one of mine for two days and I ended up having to use a hammer and chisel to break it into chunks.

The main impact of a longer time in the mold will be that the soap is a little harder when you cut, Andrea. So depending on the oils you're using, and possibly also whether you gel or not, leaving the soap over the weekend will probably be OK. (I avoid gel and usually only cut after 48 hours.).
The problem you're most likely to face (if there are any problems) is struggling to cut through a hard soap loaf without "bits" breaking off ......

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Andrea,

I just want to say thank you for asking a lot of questions! I love it when someone asks something I haven't thought to ask yet (or haven't needed to yet) because I learn something too from your question - and am sure I'm not the only one! :)

I recently heard that in the past several years, some of the more serious soapers have become jaded by newbies asking too many questions because it makes them feel we're not attempting to do the legwork ourselves...that we're in a sense leeching by asking for help. Not in all cases of course (and this forum seems friendly), but I recently learned that we have to be careful about what we ask because we might make the long-time soapers feel used. It's hard for me cause in my head I'm thinking, gee, I'm on a forum which is part of the legwork - to ask questions and learn as much as possible (in addition to books, googling, youtube, surfing the net, etc) but it's a matter of learning what things are okay to ask and what aren't - a soaping forum etiquette you might say. Last time I soaped, years ago, the forums were just sorta wide open with all kinds of people helping each other and there wasn't that same feel of self-protection. I understand why they feel that way, I just think it's a shame that we have to walk on eggshells, lol. I get so full of excitement whenever I think I may begin to soap soon (hahaha don't get me started on how many times I've meant to start and haven't...it may have something to do with having kids and life getting in the way!) and then I want to get all back into the research and preparing mode but then to have to be so cautious is sort of a bummer you know? But I get that we need to be respectful - you can't just go up to an experienced soaper who sells for a living and ask flat out for their recipe (not that I would do that)! I've heard of stories where newbies ask for a recipe then turn around and start selling soap a week later. Not sure if that's true but I guess it's not outside the realm of possibility!

Sorry for ranting! :lol: :shh:

I concur, Marya!!! Well said ;)
and thanks to all for their insights- both old and new

Back