What happened?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzi

Reaction score
I just made a batch of 100% coconut oil dish soap @ 1% lye discount. At trace I put it in my pvc molds, a few minutes later (maybe 3-4) I looked and the top of the very white soap has cracked and an off white foam or gel is seeping out of the top. I have not seen this before and I have no clue what I did wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
15672896748678904624782751504783.jpg
15672897145867611968590770184544.jpg
20190831_180442.jpg

Its overheating and cracking. The hot liquidy soap is oozing out the cracks.
Try to get it cooled off either by placing a fan to blow across the molds or pop it in the fridge.
Coconut soap is prone to heating up fast and hot.

It depends. Sometimes it can get so hot that it will still crack in the fridge.

It generally does help though and is always worth trying.
If you consistently have issues with this recipe, HP could be a way around it.

soap cool. If you put it in the fridge I would put something under it in case it still volcanos. Being in a pvc pipe with little exposed surface exposed I am not sure if the fridge will cool it down quick enough. CO soap tends to heat quickly.

As Obsidian mentions above you could hp it or use silicone with round cavities if you insist on having round soaps. Otherwise, pour it into another type of mold such as a log.

In my experience, 100% coconut oil soap results really well in small silicon moulds. In this way it does not overheat and this avoids the cracks.

Latest posts

Back